Mechanics Veto Extending Oil Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
bdc is right. The other day, when getting my "free 15000 mile service", I was educating an ASE certified mechanic about the theoretical benefits of different types of overpressure devices in oil filters. He was fascinated, saying he never knew all that about oil filters, just that they fit or not. He was looking at the filter like it was a majic genie bottle.

I watch those people like a hawk when I'm getting my "free service" done. I'm always having to correct something...last time, the guy was trying to change my air filter. Well, I yelled across the shop for him to come over, I had a question. I didn't want to embarrass him. I had to tell him the air filter change called for at this time was the air filtration filter in the cabin...not the engine intake. Later, I had to get him to put the car back up to rotate the tires, as called for in the 15000 mile service. One more free service at 22,500, and I won't be darkening their doors again.

Let me be fair and say the oil change/service guys might not be as sharp as the ones that get put on the transmission/engine/mastercylinder overhauls. Some mechanics are extremely knowledgeable and sharp....ASE cert or not.

ASE certified star, by itself, means little to me.

I feel some of us are forgetting a major factor in this discussion
Many people subconsciously use their cars (for that matter any of their toys) as an extension of themselves.
obsessing about oil changes and other maintenance just makes this type of person feel as though they're polishing their armor against the world. This really has nothing to do with their car other than the car is an extension of their body!

Other people don't like or have much respect for themselves and this shows up as no oil changes for 10 to 15.000 miles or even never.

If you're one of the fortunates who see a car as just a means of transportation or a hobby and know these machines need regular maintenance do what makes you comfortable. Of course it's fun to discuss these things but remember, nobody is right or wrong. We'll never know what lurks in mens souls.

I guess I'm trying to say, to each his or her own! We may not agree but who is keeping score other than some companies bottom line.

gr_stretch.gif
patriot.gif

Please don't EVER change your oil. I'm looking into an engine replacment franchise!

Driving style, verified with UOA, is what determines OCI. The oil company and your owners manual shouldn't. But, frequent maintenance won't kill your car the way neglect does.

Quality fluid and reasonable intervals are cheap insurance when compared to the cost and hassle of replacing an engine or transmission.

It sucks that many higher end vehicles are seriously neglected. They've would've made perfect 2nd owner cars if the engines weren't completely sludged up, or if the trannies functioned well.

If the OEM pushed bypass filters, reasonably large sump capacities, higher end synthetics, oil cooling and heating, working PSI and temp gauges, higher volume higher PSI oiling systems...........on all vehicles, I would jump on the seriously extended OCI bandwagon or even the OLM oil life monitors.
But, the $50 spent, for all of the above installed at the factory, would reduce somone's bonus. I always wondered what OLM and other oil change dash indicators cost. They spend all that money trying to prevent maintenance and reduce the life of the car. Seems to be a great way to increase vehicle sales.

I guess that the decision depends on your lifestyle and take home income.

The one main indy Toyota guy I'll take my car to when something major needs done says 3,000 changes are a joke. He said do 10,000 mile changes, especially on 2.2L Camry's (he has a whole garage stall lined with long blocks ready to go for $2,000 installed
grin.gif
) Actually he tells his customers 6 months or 5,000 miles with any Toyota other than a known sludger, in which is still advocates 3/3,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back