Mechanics tell me this noise is "normal", but I find it annoying. What is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'll need the secret password! It's some combination of "Civic" "whistling" and "noise". I'm reading the forums and most with this generation think it's something with the throttle body. This guy is literally drilling holes in his. Later model Civic owners also report a "metal whistle" noise that comes from the air conditioning.

It could mean a misaligned belt or a loose heat shield is or isn't actually the problem. I'll bet someone has a misaligned belt, loose heat shield and a caked-up throttle body. And a vacuum leak.

Originally Posted by LazyDog
If the engine has a timing belt, check the roller and the tensioner.

It does. He replaced the tensioner pulley.

Small print: I already fixed the pretensioner that was setting off my SRS light, my car has no ABS (ripped out) or TPMS and I change my own oil.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Sounds like a vacuum leak.

Originally Posted by OCDriver
The intake duct has a few surface cracks from dry rot, but no deep cracks that could be letting in air.

I bet one opens up when the engine rocks under load.
A vacuum leak would likely cause stalling though.Taking a throttle body apart isn't a good idea without an ODB2 reader and new gaskets. The gasket for mine looks like a keyhole and is $5 >

I suppose it could be cracked. Some cars don't like them cleaned (Nissan) or apart at all evidently. A lot of people on this one (reading) are just [censored] their money away trying to figure out what it is... while everyone typing online tries to guess what's going on (with even less information).

"Did you check your oil?"

Yeah, I checked that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back