Measurement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cross referencing filters. Two have the same od, (overall diameter?) , but one says it has a special thread pitch. What is that? Also I have a good deal for a lot on the other one but its .6 shorter. Will this hurt my car? I know im gonna get a million manufacturer knows best and that Im being cheap. But just wondering.

thread pitch is the distance, measured parallel to the thread axis, between corresponding points on adjacent threads. Unified screws threads are designated in threads per inch, which is the number of complete threads occurring in one inch of threaded length. Thread pitch is the reciprocal of threads per inch. On an external thread, the diameter at the thread rests is the major diameter, and at its thread roots is the minor diameter. On an internal thread, it is the opposite. The diameter at the crests is the minor diameter and at the roots the major diameter.

the thread pitch on the filter must match the thread pitch on the engine. If you don't know what you have on the block don't buy bulk just yet.

well it calls for a "special" pitch on the filter in the catalog, so im guessing this other one wont fit?=(

Anything can fit, it's just how hard you try!
LOL.gif

L24561 doesn't work in Purolator, WIX, Fram, Champ or Donaldson.

The 10291 is a 22x1.5mm filter for older Honda/Acura

Part Number: 51392
UPC Number: 765809513921
Principal Application: Acura Integra (86-87), Honda (80-87)
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 3.141
Outer Diameter Top: 3.660
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 22X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Burst Pressure-PSI: 275
Max Flow Rate: 11-13 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 21

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.538 2.224 0.200

Here's Purolator's spec's for it

Threads: M22x1.5-6H
Type of Filter: Spin-on
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes

Height: 3.09
Relief Valve P.S.I.: 8-16
O.D.: 3.76

Donaldson's

P502048

A - OD (Inches): 3.54
B - Thread Size (Inches): M22 X 1.5
C - Length (Inches): 3.18
D - Gasket OD (Inches): 2.52
E - Gasket ID (Inches): 2.27
Product Type Description: LUBE SPIN-ON FULL FLOW
Primary Application: HONDA 15400-PA6-305
Product Group: FL

I'm sorry. l24651. The two are very similiar except one spec on the l24651 that says thread pitch is special. But both have same thread size? I can get a great deal so if anyone can help itd be appreciated. Tried the internet but nothing too informative on thread pitch(or i cant understand it =p)

Quote:

Donaldson's

P502048

B - Thread Size (Inches): M22 X 1.5

That thread spec is definitely metric, but some yahoo at Donaldson has put in the term "inches" for some unknown reason ... nice confusion factor for someone not familiar with threads.

Quote:
Threads: M22x1.5-6H

That "6H" on the end looks like a thread cutting tolerance specifier.

Originally Posted By: rangerfan24
I'm sorry. l24651. The two are very similiar except one spec on the l24651 that says thread pitch is special. But both have same thread size? I can get a great deal so if anyone can help itd be appreciated. Tried the internet but nothing too informative on thread pitch(or i cant understand it =p)

What's the exact thread spec as listed by the info you are looking at for the L24651?

l24651

Specifications:
Anti-Drain Back Valve Yes
Height 3.73
O.D. 3.77
Relief Valve P.S.I. 8-16
Thread Pitch Special
Threads M22x1.5-6H
Type of Filter Spin-on

l24651

Specifications:
Anti-Drain Back Valve Yes
Height 3.73
O.D. 3.77
Relief Valve P.S.I. 8-16
Thread Pitch Special
Threads M22x1.5-6H
Type of Filter Spin-on

The "6H" is a spec for the way the threads are shaped which will determine how sloppy or tight the threads fit together.

If this oil filter is supposed to fit many cars, then I'm sure it will screw onto your engine just fine if indeed your engine takes the M22x1.5 thread (22 mm dia. x 1.5 mm pitch). I can't see some auto maker making some bizarre special thread requirement for an oil filter mount. Shouldn't be an issue IMO.

This one shows some good info.
http://www6.district125.k12.il.us/teched/Courses/TDresources/Thread Spec.html

"6H" is a "medium tolarance" fit ... so not super tight fit.
1. (free) 5H, internal & 4g, external
2. (medium) 6H, internal & 6g, external
3. (tight) 7H, internal & 8g, external

See Google search ... there is some more info.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=6H+thread+spec&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

but whats that thread pitch special junk?

It's not the pitch, it's the thread cutting tolerance that's "special" ... in other words, how tight the threads mesh up to each other. It's "special" because it's been cut to be a little tighter fit than the common "loose" fit thread (designated 5H for internal threads as shown in my post above).

The thread is still M22x1.5 (22 mm x 1.5 mm pitch) ... a very common metric thread design.

The "6H" designator is just telling you how the thread tolerances are cut in that size. See my post above ... there are 3 levels of tolerance. Loose to tight fit.

The filter mounting threads on all engines are probably cut pretty loose, so using that filter should be no problem if the M22x1.5 size is what your engine takes in a filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back