meaning of words on an advance auto parts ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
on line battery listing for a lead acid battery on advance auto web page

FREE INSTALLATION & TESTING; AGM RECOMMENDED - This vehicle model is identified as Electrically and Environmentally Challenged by JD Power.; OE Spec: OE Group 24F; OE CCA 585; Battery Spec: 700 CCA, Maximum Starting Power in any Climate, PowerFrame Grid Technology

what does electrically challenged mean, oem is 585 c/a, the listed battery was 700 c/a

Last edited:
"Electrically challenged" is probably a technical-sounding term to compel you to spend extra money on an AGM (Advanced Glass Mat) battery. AGM batteries are the gel type, not flooded lead acid. Both work fine with limitations. What kind of car is this? Group 24F is common and any quality battery, AGM or flooded lead acid, will work well.

The OEM CCA, or Cold Cranking Amps, is apparently 585 CCA. The battery you are shopping is listed as 700 CCA, which is higher (usually good). In South Carolina, CCA isn't terribly relevant, but that's how most batteries are marketed today.

24F is common. Unless you have an odd car, any quality battery will work.

I think they are trying to convey that the vehicle is tough on the battery (it has high electrical demands ) electrically (ie - steep discharge / charge cycles, etc)

'environmentally' challenged would mean either vehicle configured for off-road use (lots of jarring of battery) or could also mean engine-compartment gets excessively hot, etc.

AGM based batteries can sustain these conditions better than standard grid battery.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
"Electrically challenged" is probably a technical-sounding term to compel you to spend extra money on an AGM (Advanced Glass Mat) battery. AGM batteries are the gel type, not flooded lead acid. Both work fine with limitations. What kind of car is this? Group 24F is common and any quality battery, AGM or flooded lead acid, will work well.

The OEM CCA, or Cold Cranking Amps, is apparently 585 CCA. The battery you are shopping is listed as 700 CCA, which is higher (usually good). In South Carolina, CCA isn't terribly relevant, but that's how most batteries are marketed today.

24F is common. Unless you have an odd car, any quality battery will work.

AGM is an entirely different animal than a Gel type. AGM stands for "Absorbed Glass Mat". They are more powerful pound for pound than gel, tend to last a lot longer, and will recharge faster without damage.
What they have in common with Gel type batteries is the ability to be inverted without spilling.

A lot of modern vehicles are hard on batteries- that's for sure. My Cherokee - open the door and the dome light comes on. that's it.

My parents focuscape: 50000000 dome lights come on (really about 4), the infotainment system turns on, the dash info screen turns on. All before you even put the key in.

I can give you an example of a car that's "electrically challenged" -- mine. The M3 is unique in that when you go WOT, the alternator completely decouples from the motor and you are running all of the car's electronics purely from the battery.

its a simple 04 toy highlander v6 , no nav , no back up camera,
has radio, a/c .
last auto parts store battery lasted 5 years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dparm
I can give you an example of a car that's "electrically challenged" -- mine. The M3 is unique in that when you go WOT, the alternator completely decouples from the motor and you are running all of the car's electronics purely from the battery.

A lot of newer cars do that. It's so they can squeeze every last HP out of the engine. Same with the A/C. There's lots of battery/voltage management in today's cars.

Winter time, snowing - heater going full blast, rear defroster, wipers, headlights on, radio, brake lights constantly flashing in stop & go traffic - alternator can't keep up at idle. Yeah, it's challenged - I'll take the better battery as opposed to paying for a tow.

The electronics in the 3 Saab 9-5s in the family are said to drain the battery a bit more than average. The electronics work just fine but when you get past 3 years, keep an eye on the battery. Kira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back