MD-11?

First time I have seen video of the “landing”.

Why airlines push going around when unstable.

Crazy speed fluctuations.
Doesn't MD-11 have like highest landing speed of all passenger jets?
I think your correct.

A321 touchdown speed is 150 KIAS heavy ( small wing , only 25 degrees flaps versus 35 on the A320 ). A321 does have double slotted flaps though versus the A320.

Last edited:
Wow 147 million. Its a shame when you see them and other high dollar planes at those Arizona storage yards getting scraped, no one is making any $ back doing that. I know of some folks that had to pay to have a large plane scraped, yes the scraper gets something from it.

I use to watch these come and go almost every day from my office window at U of L.

The U of L main campus is close enough to the north end of the airport, and basically in direct line with one of the runways, that these and the 747s would make quite a racket.

When I was doing a lot more on Ebay, I'd also find myself at the post office on Crittenden Dr. a couple of times a week. That's about as close to "across the road from the airport" as you can get without actually being there, and seeing 2-3 of these lined up waiting to take off was a nearly every day sight.

Not an MD-11, but an unloaded and light USAF KC-10 Extender, callsign “SHAMU-01” performing one of the most shocking takeoffs I’ve ever seen. Great demonstration of the large surplus of power that airliners are engineered with, and the performance they’re capable of when they’re lightly loaded.

Not sure this would be done at an air show in 2023.

Comments section is interesting! Seems they took it right up to almost the limit of the tires.

Iirc, the MD-11 was called “Tri-Star” by McDonnell-Douglas and “Death Star” by its pilots.
The Lockheed L-1011 was nicknamed "TriStar" by Lockheed.
Fedex pilots with a dark sense of humor nicknamed the MD-11 "Death Star".

The DC-10 was also nicknamed “Death Cruiser-10” back in the late 70s after a series of bad crashes.

The design of the plane played a part in a few of those crashes, and in others it didn’t. But the name stuck.

Reactions: GON
The DC-10 was also nicknamed “Death Cruiser-10” back in the late 70s after a series of bad crashes.

The design of the plane played a part in a few of those crashes, and in others it didn’t. But the name stuck.

Late 70s? I'm old enough to remember the crash at O'Hare, but I thought maybe the most notorious was the crash at Sioux City, IA. That was legendary for the skill in getting it to the airport without being able to use their control surfaces.

Late 70s? I'm old enough to remember the crash at O'Hare, but I thought maybe the most notorious was the crash at Sioux City, IA. That was legendary for the skill in getting it to the airport without being able to use their control surfaces.
See American Airlines Flight 96, Turkish Airlines Flight 981 (1972 and 1974 respectively).

And then there were 3 very bad DC-10 crashes in 1979 - Mexico City, Mt. Erebus (Antarctica), and Chicago.

2 of those 3 weren’t due to any design flaw in the aircraft. In the Chicago crash, aircraft design did play a role (though there were several factors at play with that one).

But the damage was done to its reputation.

Reactions: GON
See American Airlines Flight 96, Turkish Airlines Flight 981 (1972 and 1974 respectively).

And then there were 3 very bad DC-10 crashes in 1979 - Mexico City, Mt. Erebus (Antarctica), and Chicago.

2 of those 3 weren’t due to any design flaw in the aircraft. In the Chicago crash, aircraft design did play a role (though there were several factors at play with that one).

But the damage was done to its reputation.

Well - United 232 was apparently General Electric's fault.

It's always been a design requirement that failure of any one engine should not affect the ability to get to an airport and make a controlled landing. This has been a problem with tri-jet designs since the center engine is close to vital equipment in the tail. The L-1011 added an extra hydraulic system specifically designed to survive the center engine exploding. The DC-10 did not.

Back