MD-11?

I saw this bad boy at the Toronto airport this morning. Is it an MD-11 ?

D952A3C7-8E44-4957-AD09-901ADF1FF3E7.jpeg
8F63B4BA-8CCB-4BFB-B6EA-97D7AEF10335.jpeg
799D08AA-C944-4501-88EF-9BDF96D81F86.jpg

The Lockheed tri star looked really Similar. From what I remember the MD-11 received an additional rear center bogie to help with weight.

You mean DC-10? I don't believe they had winglets though. The KC-10 is still in service, but that would be a massive practical joke to repaint on in UPS livery and add winglets.

There is an MD-10 too. I think essentially a cockpit upgrade for old DC-10s to make it closer to an MD-11. Common pilot “type rating” then.

The MD-11 has a reputation for being challenging or unforgiving to land.

I posted a thread with an interesting article about the 11 and its crash history a while back.

Reactions: GON
One interesting tidbit about one of the basic design flaws of the DC-10 is related to the size of the vertical stabilizer. Due to the huge engine nacelle, the flight control surface didn't provide adequate yaw control in the unlikely event of a no.1 or no.3 engine loss. Because of this, the engine placement dictated the wing mounted engines be mounted very close to the fuselage. This greatly affected the noise and comfort of the passengers. The DC-10 was to replace the successful DC-8 at a time when 2-engine aircraft weren't yet approved for trans-oceanic flight. ETOPS certification was still 15 years away when the DC-10 and Lockheed L-1011 aircraft were beginning production.

Look at this comparison of the engine placement of these two competitors and you'll notice how close the engines of the Douglas aircraft were placed to the fuselage. This was just one of many hurdles the designers had to contend with. Unfortunately there were other dangerous shortcomings of this aircraft. The final offering was the MD-11 but it was destined to fail because it simply could never provide the fuel efficiency to fly the routes that it was advertised for. Twin engine aircraft became the standard and the rest was history.
DC10.JPG
L1011.JPG

Iirc, the MD-11 was called “Tri-Star” by McDonnell-Douglas and “Death Star” by its pilots.

One interesting tidbit about one of the basic design flaws of the DC-10 is related to the size of the vertical stabilizer. Due to the huge engine nacelle, the flight control surface didn't provide adequate yaw control in the unlikely event of a no.1 or no.3 engine loss. Because of this, the engine placement dictated the wing mounted engines be mounted very close to the fuselage. This greatly affected the noise and comfort of the passengers. The DC-10 was to replace the successful DC-8 at a time when 2-engine aircraft weren't yet approved for trans-oceanic flight. ETOPS certification was still 15 years away when the DC-10 and Lockheed L-1011 aircraft were beginning production.

Look at this comparison of the engine placement of these two competitors and you'll notice how close the engines of the Douglas aircraft were placed to the fuselage. This was just one of many hurdles the designers had to contend with. Unfortunately there were other dangerous shortcomings of this aircraft. The final offering was the MD-11 but it was destined to fail because it simply could never provide the fuel efficiency to fly the routes that it was advertised for. Twin engine aircraft became the standard and the rest was history.
View attachment 155735View attachment 155736
I think even Airbus A340-300 was 13% more fuel efficient compared to MD-11. It never stood a chance.

The MD-11 has a reputation for being challenging or unforgiving to land.

I posted a thread with an interesting article about the 11 and its crash history a while back.

First time I have seen video of the “landing”.

Why airlines push going around when unstable.

Never push the nose down after a bounce ( nose wheel hits runway ) do a low energy go around if the bounce is high.

Crazy speed fluctuations.

Touchdown at 166 KIAS , wow.

Last edited:
First time I have seen video of the “landing”.

Why airlines push going around when unstable.

Never push the nose down after a bounce ( nose wheel hits runway ) do a low energy go around if the bounce is high.

Crazy speed fluctuations.

Touchdown at 166 KIAS , wow.
Doesn't MD-11 have like highest landing speed of all passenger jets?

The L-1011 was from a different era. It was competing with the DC-10. The latter being not a particularly great airplane except for one metric that mattered a lot to airlines: price. The first MD-11 was made 3 years after the last L-1011.

Back