McLaren 765LT on Toyo R888R Tires vs Tesla Model S Plaid DRAG RACE

The Tesla can’t go very far with that kind of a load. Although the Tesla has impressive acceleration, the McLaren will run 205 mph until it runs out of fuel and transforms 45 mph corners into 100 mph corners. They are supercars for a reason.

Last edited:
The Tesla can’t go very far with that kind of a load. Although the Tesla has impressive acceleration, the McLaren will run 205 mph until it runs out of fuel and transforms 45 mph corners into 100 mph corners. They are supercars for a reason.
As well as the McLaren actually looking the part of being the badass that it apparently is. Tesla looks like a pimped out grocery getter.

There are plenty of videos of the 720S which is the car the 765 Long Tail is based on.

This is one of my favorites as it shows how good the car can make a driver look. As the car runs down the straightaway you can certainly hear the flat plane crank heritage from Formula 1 and Indy Car. The ECU and the other computers on these cars are lighting fast. The traction control light just modulates as the wheels slip, if you shake the car loose in a corner it will grab a brake on one wheel and pull it back to a controlled slip angle.

I have nothing against the Tesla. Certainly like what it does. I would like to have one but even with free electricity off the solar system the justification is very hard. The payback is so long. I guess much like a McLaren being a car that does not make sense that is probably it’s most common factor. You would have to spend the big $$$ on the Plaid simply because you want it.

Looks like 40 passes or 10 miles is where the power starts falling off on the Tesla. That’s actually pretty good considering the amount of energy it takes to get the car down the track at that speed.

I like pretty much anything that goes fast.

An unrestricted Plaid can do fewer laps at speed on the oval at Daytona than fingers on one hand. Still, it's an impressive 6 minutes (remember the high discharge rate halves the bat energy density) (600HP=600KW drain). No battery improvements are going to change that. Even so, I would be absolutely thrilled to own a Plaid. Sadly, it's out of my reach.

People constantly dismiss my points on energy density, instead saying "it will work" or some variation on that. Yet the real world is full of engines being asked to do real work. Every transport category airplane ever built is example number 1. Ships, Trains, Trucks, Tractors, etc. Our economy is not powered by "grocery getters" nor is the "automobile" the major contributor to energy use or pollution.

An unrestricted Plaid can do fewer laps at speed on the oval at Daytona than fingers on one hand. Still, it's an impressive 6 minutes (remember the high discharge rate halves the bat energy density) (600HP=600KW drain). No battery improvements are going to change that. Even so, I would be absolutely thrilled to own a Plaid. Sadly, it's out of my reach.

People constantly dismiss my points on energy density, instead saying "it will work" or some variation on that. Yet the real world is full of engines being asked to do real work. Every transport category airplane ever built is example number 1. Ships, Trains, Trucks, Tractors, etc. Our economy is not powered by "grocery getters" nor is the "automobile" the major contributor to energy use or pollution.
Maybe you can do a quick review in simple terms for a simple person. The Chev Spark EV has a higher hp and higher torque motor than the Bolt, but the Bolt is faster and heavier. I know this is due to the gearing, making the newer motors less hp, but they spin faster and are geared down more.

Back