MC VS Pennzoil conventional

Status
Not open for further replies.
As some of you have noticed I have been posting here a lot lately.I have been reading a lot about different oils,conventional,semi- snythetics and full synthetics. Being i'm disabled now,I have to watch my money very close and am looking for the best oil to use for the longest OCIs,that will also keep the engine clean too.I have narrowed it down to 2 results; MC semi synthetic and Pennzoil conventional.Both of these oils have almost the same specs (flashpoint,pour,temp.).The MC looks as if it can go a bit longer OCIs 7.5-8K miles as to the Pennzoils 5-7K miles.But,the Pennzoil states it helps keep the engine clean whereas the MC states nothing like that.Last but not least,the MC is about $6-$7 more for a 6qt. oil change.With both of these oils being so close in specs. I really can't see spending the extra $$$ for the MC,unless being it's a semi-synthetic and that gives you piece of mind. Opinions?
21.gif

2007 F150,4.2 V6,92K miles

Last edited:
I really would not think its worth the extra $6 or $7 . The pennzoil has posted lots of excellent reports. My money would be spent on the pennzoil. With money back rebates you can buy synthetic oils for almost nothing, i would watch out for these sales.

If you're willing to spend a little more to get a little better oil, why not use PP, which is known to be good on longer drains?
You can buy PP at Walmart using a $5.00 off hang tag coupon and then get an MIR for a $10.00 Shell gas card, making the oil less expensive than either PYB or MC.
You can often get some kind of deal on PP, so it could be a good choice in a relatively inexpensive oil that will do fine on long drains.
I'm assuming that the truck is not typically short tripped.
If it is, there are still advantages in using PP, but long drain intervals are out with any oil.

IMO
Like Pennzoil, Castrol GTX looks like it performs equal to some full synthetics but it's priced a little high. So I was researching other oils that may look like Pennzoil and GTX on paper. I compared Viscosity @ -30ºC, and volatility and found 3 others that are similar.

Mobil Super - Walmart
STP - Dollar General
Valvoline - Nextgen can be obtained for free after mir.

If you haven't signed up your truck for all the different oil companies warranties, why not start from there? Joining usually results in something close to FAR.

Then there's the Pennzoil special right now. I will probably use that and sign up for the warranty in the spring.

Longest oil change for cheapest amount, APP 5qts PP + KN filter for 29.99 -$10MIR - $10MIR = 9.99 for a 10K OCI.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Longest oil change for cheapest amount, APP 5qts PP + KN filter for 29.99 -$10MIR - $10MIR = 9.99 for a 10K OCI.

I saw that and like that deal,BUT,the nearest AAP is 52 miles away from me.
frown.gif

What filter and oil are you currently using? Would a Motorcraft filter and Mobil Super in 5W-20 suffice?

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
What filter and oil are you currently using? Would a Motorcraft filter and Mobil Super in 5W-20 suffice?
I currently have Valvoline 5W20 and a MC filter.This is the first conventional oil change my engine has had.I had Ford change my oil before I became disabled.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I currently have Valvoline 5W20 and a MC filter.This is the first conventional oil change my engine has had.I had Ford change my oil before I became disabled.

PM sent...

PM sent...

PM sent back.

When I had my 2006 F150 with a 4.2L I ran Rotella T5 10w30 syn-blend. I had done a few runs on MC 5w20 syn-blend and also with Chevron Supreme 5w20 conventional and my engine seemed to run smoothest and quietest on Rotella.

PM sent...

Another PM sent.

My Wal-mart has a 5 qt jug of PP and the better Fram filter on sale for $30. If anyone is interested?

Penzzoil Platinum on sale, you can get it for the same cost, or less in some occasions, as the Penzzoil Yellow Bottle, but in a full-synthetic application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back