MC FL-500S Fail

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the description on the video:
Published on Apr 21, 2012
Failed EcoBoost oil filter. 4000 miles on this filter. Noticed truck was spotting on the driveway. Oil leak source seemed to be the filter. Cleaned it off, started the truck, and viola. Was coming due for oil & filter change anyway.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Looks to me like a damaged filter, not a failed filter.

Agreed. Damage MAY have been pre-existing to installation, but damage nonetheless.

That's definitely damage, quite possibly from a kicked up rock or similar, and not a use-related failure. If it were a failure, I'd say it would be split, not just a pinhole.

I would also like to point out something in the filter's favor.

1 - Based on the comments in the description: "Noticed truck was spotting on the driveway" it would seem that this truck had been running with this pinhole for some time

2 - Ecoboost engines generate decent oil pressure, but all we have here is still just a pinhole.

My conclusion - despite the compromise to the casing due to damage, the filter held up and did NOT split open, even under pressure. To me, this says the filter did a good job.

... I find it funny that the person who posted the video did not allow comments. Perhaps he didn't want to hear people pointing out the truth?

It seems that your lead in that a MC filter failed was mis- leading. It may have been the owner punctured the filter to create a you tube video. If he was driving with that kind of leak he would drain the engine of oil in short order.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JDW
WOW

Like I have seen with my own cuts MC has a thin canister. IMO

Like said if it's real .

I'm struggling with the rock theory. On both my Ecoboosts there is an underbelly cover that covers darn near the whole underbelly.

On the F150 it's tucked up above the front differential. Heck, there's a "funnel" that directs the oil.

On the Taurus it's tucked up there too.

Unless they went around without the cover I don't see a rock getting up there to do that much damage.

Originally Posted By: tig1
It seems that your lead in that a MC filter failed was mis- leading. It may have been the owner punctured the filter to create a you tube video. If he was driving with that kind of leak he would drain the engine of oil in short order.

+1. I thought the same thing.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
I'm struggling with the rock theory. On both my Ecoboosts there is an underbelly cover that covers darn near the whole underbelly.

My Fusion has one of those too - or at least HAD. When I bought it, the portion covering the filter, among other things, was missing. Some people just take those off and never put them back on. I've seen it more than once.

On the F150 it's tucked up above the front differential. Heck, there's a "funnel" that directs the oil.

On the Taurus it's tucked up there too.

Unless they went around without the cover I don't see a rock getting up there to do that much damage.

Perhaps, but at this point in the discussion, I don't think it matters. One way or another, that filter was damaged, be it by rock, tool, nail, or having been dropped..

Originally Posted By: SirTanon

Perhaps, but at this point in the discussion, I don't think it matters. One way or another, that filter was damaged, be it by rock, tool, nail, or having been dropped..

Yeah. Looking at it again that area is the TOP of the filter and I think any rock or nail that got in there to do that damage would have wiped out more than the filter. There's the turbo hose right in the way and some other plumbing there as well.

I think you can see a slight crease in the metal so I'm thinking installation tool...

I think you can see a slight crease in the metal so I'm thinking installation tool...

shocked.gif
I wouldn't put it past some people to use a tool to install a filter. I sure wouldn't want to be the guy trying to get it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back