MC 5W20 Semi-Synthetic VS Napa 5W20 Full Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m just wondering what you guys think would be the better of the two for use in the Ford 4.6.

I’ve run the MC 5W20 Semi-Synthetic in my 05 Police Pkg Crown Vic since new (3K OCI‘s - car currently has 55K miles) with excellent results, however, the current sale at NAPA has me considering giving their 5W20 Full Synthetic a try.

The NAPA specs look good but there doesn’t seem to be any UOA’s with the NAPA (or Synpower) 5W20 posted.

I have a thread on here that talks about a Ford Winstar van with a 3.8L V6 that ran MC 5w20 all it's life and it has just over 276K KM on it and still going strong with no consumption or leak issues.

I would go with the MC, but both are equally great oils IMO.

thumbsup2.gif

Both oils you mentioned are very good oils. Since you've had such good luck with the MC, I would continue using that. Even with the Napa sale, MC is cheaper at WM.

Several UOAs done on both oils, you just have to dig to find them.

BTW, many on this board are going 5k using MC, you'll have no trouble doing the same if you want to extend your OCI a bit :)

Originally Posted By: hate2work

BTW, many on this board are going 5k using MC, you'll have no trouble doing the same if you want to extend your OCI a bit :)

Yes 5K miles between OCI's is it..Does just fine wheather it be the Blend or Full Synthetic..Plus that is all done in Miami jungle heat and allot of traffic jams...Ran my 99 on it for 200K miles doing that until the car was totalled in a hurricane.

As I recall Ashland makes the Napa stuff and they also make Valvoline (their brand). I 'suspect' it's Korean S-Oil GrpIII base and most likely an off-the-shelf add' pack. (Ashland distributes chemicals like oil and additive, also a blender.)

I have a Ford '05 and run to 5K OCI which is their spec for warranty. Ford changed the OCI to 7.5K in later model years.

So I use MC (or Penzoil YB, a GrpII+) to 5K but would use a synth out to 7.5K if no warranty concerns. If synth I would 'lean' toward PP since I suspect Shell's XHVI GrpIII base with custom add pack. I'm price sensitive so I'm flexible to substitute.

So at 3K use anything that meets Ford '930A but consider going longer. I know It's a hard habit to break.

Last edited:
Napa synthetic would be a group 3+4+5 and highly superior.
I would even make it better by blending 3 quarts of 20 weight with 1 quarts of 30 weight.

Last edited:
I would use the MC 5W20, as is, nothing needed to make it better. Those engines are doing very well running MC 5W20, leave well enough alone.

AD

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
I would use the MC 5W20, as is, nothing needed to make it better. Those engines are doing very well running MC 5W20, leave well enough alone.
AD

Absolutley right!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: scoobie
I would even make it better by blending 3 quarts of 20 weight with 1 quarts of 30 weight.

That won't make it better.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Originally Posted By: scoobie

That won't make it better.

+1 It will only make it thicker.

AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back