MC 5w20 or PP 5w20???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is better for vehicle driven 60% in town (2.4L Jeep Compass) and will moslt likely see 5-10k per year and the factory service interval is 6k and the computer tells you when it is due?

This seems to be a very common choice question. Speaks well to both oils quality and value. I give the edge to MC because I've used it a lot in the 5w20 weight, and the price edge.

That said, again, you can't go wrong with either.

well everyone seems to say above 5k I should use a full-syn over a dino oil with lots of city driving? I suppose the blend might bump me up a notch to handle 6k with ease; even in the city?

PP. Sure it costs more but it is full SYN and is still reasonably priced. Is a few dollars difference every 3-6 months that big of a deal?

I've got an 03 taurus with 30,000 pampered miles. I've always used mobil 1 full synthetic since 1000 miles. Since joining BITOG I've went down (if you will) to PP and finally switched to the Motorcraft. It gets great reviews and UOA's and I've seen no changes or problems plus I'm saving alot of cash.
banana2.gif

On second thought, I still change mine every four or five months, If I was gonna try and go a full year I think I would go with a full synthetic.

Last edited:
The 5W-20 flavors of both brands are excellent. Always show low wear in the cars that work well with 20 weights.

Originally Posted By: Jaymus
The 5W-20 flavors of both brands are excellent. Always show low wear in the cars that work well with 20 weights.

But still safe to say with CERTAINTY that PP is the better oil between the two hands down? Or is it possible that a blend could perform as well as a GP-III syn like PP?

I vote PP, it has a way nicer looking add pack and meets tougher specs. It should do a better job of deposit/varnish control over the long haul.

I used to run MC at 5k but have switched to PP at 10k. Both serve me well - no deposits, noises or unusual wear. I only stopped using the MC because driving 1k/week meant roughly 1 month OCIs. With PP and PureOne filters I'm spending slightly less money and half as much time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back