MC 0W-30 CH-4/SL Diesel Rated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on the year the engine was built. CH-4 was made obsolete around 2002 or 2003 by CI-4 and CI-4 Plus, and then when particulate traps were installed, CJ oil was a must.

That in mind, this stuff sounds like great news for someone in the cold with an older diesel.

Also, I'm sure many drivers of older GM and Dodge diesels will buy this stuff, just look at all the people that use MC syn blend in their gas engines.

If it's priced like the other MC oil and, subject to a closer look at some specs,it's likely going into my 38 hp Ford tractor and all my yard equipment. Maybe my 6.9L diesel pickup and F-150 gasser too!!

Last edited:
Followup: In researching, the only similar Conoco product I can find is the 76 Synthetic HD Arctic Motor Oil witht he following specs:

API Service- CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF, CJ
cSt@40C- 65
cSt@100C- 11.6
VI- 176
Flash- 370
Pour- -49
CCV@-35C- 5500cP
HTHS- 3.3
TBN- 9.7
Zinc, wt%- 0.127

Probably not the same stuff. Dang, wish we could get decent specs from MC!

Last edited:
Quote:

I'll see if I can round up a bottle and do a VOA...

Originally Posted By: RWEST
Quote:

You'll be a steely-eyed missile man if you do!

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Quote:

You'll be a steely-eyed missile man if you do!

Whoa!! Gotta' do it now!!
banana2.gif

The local Ford dealer is trying to round up a quart for me. We'll see...
21.gif

Interesting - even thought it is 'SL' rated, it says:

"Do not use in gasoline engines equipped with catalysts"

Wonder what that's about?

Originally Posted By: addyguy

Higher levels of ZDDP ?

Yes, but it IS still 'SL' rated so it can be used in gas engines that require SL oil, and they have catalysts.....

I was going to ask the exact same question (about the catalysts). Why couldn't I use it in my Corolla or Town & Country, which call for SL oil? If it passes the SL specification, it can't be TOO harmful to emissions equipment...automakers (including Ford) were specifying SL oil for years, when that specification was current.

This looks like an interesting one for a number of applications MC 0W-30 CH-4/SL diesel rated. The PowerStrokers should love it.

Esso also makes their XD3 0W30 for those in Canada, or those near the border.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

What about diesels that have cats ? My wifes 2002 Powerstroke has a cat!!!

[/quote]

Esso also makes their XD3 0W30 for those in Canada, or those near the border. [/quote]

For what it's worth, been only using XD3 0w30 on my 03 Dodge Caravan 3.3 for ~4 years, it's at 145,000 KM, no tune-ups of any kind, just oil + filters ~ once or twice a year OCIs, and mostly city driving.

Took it in for emissions test, passed with flying colors, even received a comment from the test guy "wow, this engine is running real clean, very nice numbers!"

Originally Posted By: P2E2F

Esso also makes their XD3 0W30 for those in Canada, or those near the border. [/quote]

For what it's worth, been only using XD3 0w30 on my 03 Dodge Caravan 3.3 for ~4 years, it's at 145,000 KM, no tune-ups of any kind, just oil + filters ~ once or twice a year OCIs, and mostly city driving.

Took it in for emissions test, passed with flying colors, even received a comment from the test guy "wow, this engine is running real clean, very nice numbers!"

[/quote]

I've often thought of running a change of Esso 0W30 XD3 in my Cummins just out of curiosity...
I've already done my own little CJ4 test with Delo, now the 10W30 test is coming. But I'm using the Delo for this one. Esso XD3 0W30 will have to come later I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back