MB229.71 (0/5W-20) and VW508.00/509.00 (0W-20) physical and chemical requirements shown below (including Noack):

I don't think that tool is meant to compare approvals across brands. I think it's more for comparing the MB approvals with other MB approvals. But yeah, like I said in the other thread, if it's good enough for Mercedes, it'll be more than capable for a Subaru.

That's correct, it's not, and they say so:

Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 7.50.22 PM.png

I don't think that tool is meant to compare approvals across brands. I think it's more for comparing the MB approvals with other MB approvals.

Fair enough, like I mentioned in the Subaru UOA thread I just like the fact that I can get a MB 229.71 approved oil that is SP/GF6 certified for far less than any VW 508 oil. That oil is Castrol Edge EP 0w20 and even if this Lubrizol tool is not meant for MB vs. VW spec comparison it still gives me warm and cozy feelings 🤗

Fair enough, like I mentioned in the Subaru UOA thread I just like the fact that I can get a MB 229.71 approved oil that is SP/GF6 certified for far less than any VW 508 oil. That oil is Castrol Edge EP 0w20 and even if this Lubrizol tool is not meant for MB vs. VW spec comparison it still gives me warm and cozy feelings 🤗
Yeah man, don't think twice about using the Castrol Edge EP 0w20. Do a UOA on it once you've put some miles on the oil!

Back