MB229.5 and MB229.51

Yes it’s compatible.

Thank you.

Could you help with another question?

Looking at an engine oil for my 2017 R231 AMG SL63 (engine M157) that consumes less engine oil than Mercedes-brand Mobil1 5w-40 229.5. The thing drinks the Mobil1 oil and I’m tired of it. Mileage is 27k and engine is perfect with no smoke or other issues.

I am considering Kendall Euro GT-1 which shows the 229.51 specification. Besides the possibility of Kendall, do you have any recommendations? I might start a whole new thread on this but figured I’d ask.

Choices that carry 229.5 approval:

1) Castrol
2) Fuchs
3) Liqui Moly
4) Motul
5) Pennzoil
6) Quaker State
7) Shell
8) Valvoline

Some of the above brands carry 229.51 certification also in a different variant. Would you select a 229.51 over a 229.5 for this application, all other things being equal?

Last edited:
I don't know about that. But in terms of obtaining an oil with a specific approval I generally buy the least expensive one I can find that's easy to obtain. My first choice is what I can find at Walmart on the shelf. For 229.5 you have a couple of inexpensive choices, either on the shelf or delivered.

I have similar issues with oil consumption in my M272 with Mobil 1 and Liqui Moly. My car does not burn Castrol 0W-40 and Pennzoil 0W-40, valvetrain got quieter too. I am testing out Quaker State 5W-40 for my next change. All oils tested hold 229.5 approval.

Last edited:
The 229.5 was basically for gas MB cars. MB 229.51 was for diesels and 229.52 was updated for diesel cars. If you have a gas car, you should use 229.5 although you can use 229.51 or 229.52.
But not for long OCI's.

It will be. It is excellent oil, especially for your climate. I would run 7,500km and then do used oil analysis to see where TBN is. But as far as I know Canada moved to max 10ppm sulfur level on 01/2020, so you should not have an issue with 229.51 or .52.
While you are chiming in I might as well ask for your expertise as welll.

Friend got a 2022 GLC 43 AMG. Manual says 229.5 for the oil type but the AMG says 229.51/2. Why is that? The car is still under warranty, should she just stick to 229.5 (PPE Euro 5w40/M1 0w40) or a 229.52 (PP Euro LX)?

While you are chiming in I might as well ask for your expertise as welll.

Friend got a 2022 GLC 43 AMG. Manual says 229.5 for the oil type but the AMG says 229.51/2. Why is that? The car is still under warranty, should she just stick to 229.5 (PPE Euro 5w40/M1 0w40) or a 229.52 (PP Euro LX)?
I would stick with whatever is in the manual bcs. warranty. MB probably thinks fuel is an issue. But, European manufacturers are not that quick to update manuals.

thanks to 2 forum members above, i always wanted to make that question.

we choose an oil for our engine based on approvals and viscosity. .. we choose lets say an oil which runs very good but then we decide to try another oil ..maybe for the price or curiosity, maybe marketing and so on....same approvals ,same viscosity. so we decide to change brand and put that new oil.but the latter is being consumed faster. what does this mean for the oil and the engine? why is this happening? of course all miles are made with the same way of driving and same distance trips.
is it the oil ,is it the engine, is it both? they don't get along together? is it the recipe and the additives that make that difference?
i know that an oil that is consumed faster without a mechanical problem doesn't mean its a bad oil, but is it the appropriate one?

thanks to 2 forum members above, i always wanted to make that question.

we choose an oil for our engine based on approvals and viscosity. .. we choose lets say an oil which runs very good but then we decide to try another oil ..maybe for the price or curiosity, maybe marketing and so on....same approvals ,same viscosity. so we decide to change brand and put that new oil.but the latter is being consumed faster. what does this mean for the oil and the engine? why is this happening? of course all miles are made with the same way of driving and same distance trips.
is it the oil ,is it the engine, is it both? they don't get along together? is it the recipe and the additives that make that difference?
i know that an oil that is consumed faster without a mechanical problem doesn't mean its a bad oil, but is it the appropriate one?
I've never really seen consumption differences in any oil with the same approval that I could directly relate to the brand. I could never isolate anything in everyday driving to zero out all the many variables. One cannot drive the same way over a long(er) period, it's just not possible.

"Must be something in the base oil and/or the add pack combined with the given engine since many others have no issues with it."
i borrow that post from member Oiluzer. its possible.

Back