MB229.5 : 5w30 vs 5w40, does it matter?

hmm, can an oil be c3 and porsche A40? haven't come across that yet.

They put the old A3/B4 specs there because afterwards an oil couldn't be A/B and C together

Is there something like the bevo list for the A40 approval? I've seen a lot of 5w40 C3 oils that are A40 like Petronas Syntium 3000 AV 5w40 and Total Quartz Ineo MC3 5w40. Is Porsche A40 one of the most stringent approvals?

Last edited:

They put the old A3/B4 specs there because afterwards an oil couldn't be A/B and C together
ACEA Cx are for emissions (DPF and GPF). They use an advanced addpack. The relevant Porche certs are C20, C30, and C40. Yes, there's a C40.

Is there something like the bevo list for the A40 approval? I've seen a lot of 5w40 C3 oils that are A40 like Petronas Syntium 3000 AV 5w40 and Total Quartz Ineo MC3 5w40. Is Porsche A40 one of the most stringent approvals?
I’m starting to think that you need to make a decision and just buy something.

I am also confused how some oils can have both....full saps & low/mid saps specs @the same time...

Like Valvoline MST 5w40....used to have(I think that they dont produce it anymore....but)

229.3 is a current approval just like 229.5, where did you see it was different? If the oil has that approval it should be printed exactly as described in the Bevo list. Any deviation from that exact wording should be regarded as suspect. Just listing the approval number is not correct.

If an oil lacks an approval, it lacks the approval. And as always, grade is nearly irrelevant with these approvals.
Indeed. The correct way to write these is "MB-Approval 22x.xx" or "MB-Freigabe 22x.xx" (only German and English versions are allowed). Any other way of writing is expressly forbidden by MB. That won't stop it happening and it is up to MB to intervene if they wish. On the BeVo website it states (my emphasis):

"The following product list should help you to select the correct operating fluid for your vehicle/major assembly from the variety of products in the market.
We are recommending to use exclusively the products listed in the following overview, because only these products have been tested and approved by Mercedes-Benz.
  1. We recommend using only products which are distinctly marked with the label indicating the approval of Mercedes-Benz, e.g. “MB-Approval 229.51”. Labels referring e.g. to “MB 229.51” don't have an approval of Mercedes-Benz.
  2. Which are listed in the current MB BeVo. Only listed products are tested and approved by Mercedes-Benz.

The latest list of specs includes 228.3.

This isn't correct. Whilst the 226.5 and 229.5 specs may have similar requirements, the 226.5 spec is simply a rebrand of the Renault RN0710 specification - it is required to hold the RN approval in order to achieve the MB version.
Good to see you around Weasley.

Thanks, i really wanted to understand what's going on with all the "MB 22x.xx" oils that aren't on the bevo list. I will stick to oils that are on the 229.5 list for my old Benz and the few others i service.

Unless there's something in the MB approved oils that's incompatible with your engine, I think it's a good practice to pick one of the oils on the appropriate list. Can't think of any other stringent approval that has such an easy to find and read listing, especially for euro cars.

Having some MB 229.5 5w40 oil instead of the 229.1/3 10w40 i usually use will probably help me cure my oil change addcition and make me stop changing the oil way too early like every 5000 to 8000 kms and push it to 10 000 or the recommended 15 000 interval (maybe i'll get there one day). :ROFLMAO:

I never went above the recommended 10k for my diesel, but my gasser has a 15k interval, as well as the V6 i plan to have.

Back