MB Dealership Discretion on Brake issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little hyperbole because it's partially his fault. He never went with the car and showed the fault to the dealer personally. He just let the AAA drop the vehicle off.

Once the dealer saw the vehicle, they probably decided they don't really want to deal with this issue. So now they claim they never saw the fault.

It's got a brake problem.

But he's driving it around while making videos complaining?

Can't be much of a problem, then.

We don't know the whole story behind this "Failure" if there was such a failure it would be stored in the computer and come up on scanning.
Also if I were to have the car towed I wouldn't wait 2 or 3 days before checking if it had been delivered. Something's rotten in Denmark methinks.

Originally Posted by Pelican
We don't know the whole story behind this "Failure" if there was such a failure it would be stored in the computer and come up on scanning.
Also if I were to have the car towed I wouldn't wait 2 or 3 days before checking if it had been delivered. Something's rotten in Denmark methinks.

In the video the dealership told him they saw that the fault "was" active, but since it was not "actively" showing it they "can't do anything about it."

Originally Posted by Skippy722
In the video the dealership told him they saw that the fault "was" active, but since it was not "actively" showing it they "can't do anything about it."

That's what HE says, I'd like to hear the other side as well. I've had MBs and that's not what they are about. It could be that he ran int a "bad" one, but they are always happy to do a job as long as they get paid. If they refuse to perform such a repair under warranty, the owner has the option to go to MB and complain, MB will ensure that you are happy, unhappy customers don't buy the product again. Perhaps I'm too skeptic or cynic
crazy.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Astro14
It's got a brake problem.

But he's driving it around while making videos complaining?

Can't be much of a problem, then.

Yeah, but it would not make much of a youtube video, now would it? Throw in a sweet elderly lady scared to drive this vehicle and now we have some sort if a story.

Not saying the dealer is innocent, but since we can only see one side of the story, and the story teller has a vested interest in making it on youtube, the whole thing is highly suspect.

The video guy did some google foo and found the following recall and did a self diagnosis that was it:

https://repairpal.com/recall/05V133000

1) MB does overcomplicate things! An electrical fault leads to power braking loss!?
2) We don't know the real story if the the video guy is right or wrong, the dealer is really avoiding repair or honestly cannot find it. And what MB stance is except it is a recall.

The recall affects 2003-2006 models and was announced in 2005. That means the car (a) is 15 years old and (b) hasn't seen the dealer once before this time. For that brand it's surprising it still goes at all.

Lots of talk in the video about almost hitting things due to the change in braking. Key word being almost.

The MB SBC system was a total boondoggle and was about as reliable as the GM V8-6-4 in that it was pretty much guaranteed to fail......with the failure mode being loss of braking power. The W211 E class initially was equipped but MB jettisoned the system with the refresh. All cars with the SBC were issued a 25 year unlimited mile warranty on the system because they were just that bad.

I will say he ranted just a bit too much.

I saw the video of when he called Mercedes (which he later took down because he was receiving many shady emails) and to be honest, the dealership is BAD.

Do I think he is 100% in the right? No, I don't think so. I think he is partially in the right because at this point he could just pay for the repair. He can afford it.

Originally Posted by CanukFurius
I saw the video of when he called Mercedes (which he later took down because he was receiving many shady emails) and to be honest, the dealership is BAD.

Do I think he is 100% in the right? No, I don't think so. I think he is partially in the right because at this point he could just pay for the repair. He can afford it.

Yet this IS an expensive Mercedes and their mission tag line is "The Best or Nothing" well the $tealership needs to step up and repair the car. Just one more example of
why the entire service and repair industry is viewed rightly so by the consumer as one of the sleaziest industries in the nation.

#1) The entire system has a 25 year unlimited mile warranty because it was that bad. #2). It is not his car - he is doing a favor for a friend who is an older lady who is not equipped or informed to try to fight MBUSA without his help. #3) Going back to point #1, it is a massive failure of an experiment by MB and they extended the warranty and are not honoring it. Why should he or the owner have to pay for this?

Originally Posted by pezzy669

#1) The entire system has a 25 year unlimited mile warranty because it was that bad. #2). It is not his car - he is doing a favor for a friend who is an older lady who is not equipped or informed to try to fight MBUSA without his help. #3) Going back to point #1, it is a massive failure of an experiment by MB and they extended the warranty and are not honoring it. Why should he or the owner have to pay for this?

Originally Posted by AC1DD

Yet this IS an expensive Mercedes and their mission tag line is "The Best or Nothing" well the $tealership needs to step up and repair the car. Just one more example of
why the entire service and repair industry is viewed rightly so by the consumer as one of the sleaziest industries in the nation.

I agree with both of you guys. All I am saying is that if he cares enough, he could foot the bill without letting his aunt get stressed even further.

Originally Posted by madRiver
The video guy did some google foo and found the following recall and did a self diagnosis that was it:

https://repairpal.com/recall/05V133000

1) MB does overcomplicate things! An electrical fault leads to power braking loss!?
2) We don't know the real story if the the video guy is right or wrong, the dealer is really avoiding repair or honestly cannot find it. And what MB stance is except it is a recall.

I'm pretty familiar with the SBC system and thankful that I don't have it. Some truth to what was said. SBC was electronic brake by wire. There's an SBC pump that's basically your brakes. The pump is mechanical and will fail at a certain point. Mercedes has a counter that keep tracks of how many times you've used the brake pedal. When you hit a certain point, you get a warning about the brakes, that's the white warning. When the pump actually fails, you get the red warning and you basically only have 10% of braking power as mentioned in the video, I didn't watch all of it, skimmed through it a bit. Because the pump is mechanical, it's basically a guess when the pump is going to fail and MB is on the conservative side. In the past when people got the white warning, one way around it was to reset the counter, but that means your pump will still eventually fail, but you won't get a warning about it in advance or you might, just depends how conservative MB was on the counter. So the dealership could have just reset the counter, maybe the tech didn't feel like replacing the SBC pump that day, it's a 25 year warranty and warranty reimbursement isn't as good as a regular paying repair. When you had to pay for it, the pump was a tad over 1k at the dealer and around $800 for a reman unit online. Also had to be programmed by the dealer. So the job is around 2k at the dealer and maybe a tad over 1k at an indy, but you might still have to pay for an hour at the dealer to get it programmed. Also in terms of the warranty, originally it was a 15 year extended warranty, after that ran out, they just changed it to the 25 year unlimited miles warranty a couple years ago. The difference between an extended warranty and recall is that they only fix it if it has failed. With a recall, they have to replace it whether it has failed or not. Basically my theory is that the tech just cleared the code or didn't want to work too hard that day to replace the SBC. That is also not an unusual method of the SBC failing, pump fails in operation and then it's fine again after it's been shut down.

People who have driven both SBC and regular brakes say that SBC has better stopping power but tricky to get used to as they say sometimes it feels like it's instantly on so you have to adjust your driving a little to get used to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back