Mazdaspeed 3 Turbo 2.3L, which oil would be best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 turbo with the 2.3L MZR DISI engine....its about to roll over 10k miles and I plan to switch to synthetic...what would be my best bet?

It seems like Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 is the way to go...according to all the threads I've read...I know this is a safe bet but I wanted to get everybody's opinion before I jump in....I plan to buy my oil at wal mart in those 5qt jugs

How about Mobil1 Truck and SUV?

How about Valvoline Full synthetic?

need some input please! especially for this 2.3L turbo!

Also what about Amsoil Signature Series? Its expensive...but does it combat fuel dilution better?

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
I am a firm believer that fuel dilution has nothing to do with oil selection.

But are there oils that hold up better in the presence of gas?

Pennzoil Platinum would be an excellent choice and the one I would use if it were my MS3.

In fact, PP is what I use in my family N/A fleet of vehicles.

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge

Yes synthetics. My last UOA had 1.6% fuel. It was actually from the use of Powerfoam and the fuel had dropped over 2k miles since its use. Even with 2k miles with fuel wear had risen very little.

Originally Posted By: TaterandNoodles
Originally Posted By: 21Rouge

Yes synthetics.

Yup. I did realize that. Just wondering within synthetics have we seen UOAs with very high fuel dilution with good wear #s? For example here is my UOA for a Montana with fuel shown as 6.8%
shocked2.gif

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=251023&fpart=1

It seems that the GC held up pretty well with all this fuel?

Last edited:
Any synthetic would do. Pennzoil Platinum does meet the Honda/Acura HTO-06 spec, so does Mobil1 5W-30. Those might be my first choices. But then, GC is great. Amsoil has an interesting product line-up, but it doesn't matter as it's pretty hard to get it wrong...

If you drive 3 miles each way in winter there is going to be an issue with fuel over the course of the OCI. You need some longer runs to burn the fuel off. If I was anticipating very high fuel in winter use I would stick with GC or XD-3 both are higher vis then say PP or just take a longer drive once a week. It would also depend on cost/benefit and what I was trying to accomplish.

Originally Posted By: TaterandNoodles
If you drive 3 miles each way in winter there is going to be an issue with fuel over the course of the OCI.

For sure but over 6% wouldnt be corrected with HWY driving. Anyways that car is no longer with us but with the increasing prevalence of DI engines and their seemingly inherent fuel dilution I was thinking that there may come additives with the direct intention to minimize the effects of this misplaced fuel.

Last edited:
I use PP in our turbo RDX, no issues at all. But according to Honda's maintenance system I usually have to dump the oil out around 6500km's, so I don't know if PP can go 10K in a turbo application.

I have 42,000 miles on my 08 MS3 Sport. I have used M1, Amsoil ASL, GC and now PP. All 5W/30 except the GC of course and all have been fine. I have never used a drop of oil and despite dipping into that mid-range torque quite often, my daily commute is 50 miles of interstate each way and relatively easy on the oil. PP and M1 would be good although I would opt for the T&SUV like you mentioned or the EP if I were to do M1 again. The PP seemed to enliven the engine slightly over the just drained GC. I attribute this to PP being a bit "thinner", although mileage is the same. My only suggestion is to use a full synthetic and let the engine idle for 60 secinds before shutting it down if you were into the boost much on the trip. Enjoy your Speed, mine has been a great car to me.

If it were me, I'd be going with something Honda/Acura HTO-06, either M1 or PP with a 5000 mile OCI.

Not that I have anything against the other choices, and I'm sure they would be fine. My HL has seen all but one OCI on Valvoline Syn. But something that passes some/any turbo spec, well that's worth reaching a foot further down the aisle to me.

Honda/Acura HTO-06 is a very strict standard for oils? I see it being mentioned a few times here

It looks like Pennzoil Platinum would be my best bet....thanks again...I just wanted to confirm thats all

I just went ahead and purchased the Pennzoil Platinum....5w-30

Walmart had the 5qt jug for $20 roll back pricing...sweet! I remember it was at $23 or $24

and Castrol Edge definitely dropped in pricing...I wonder whats up? It went from $34 to $26

My MS3 has 40,000 miles on it and I've only used M1 5W-30 with a 5,000 mile OCI. UOAs have been good and consistent. If I'm forced to keep the thing I will continue that regimen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back