Mazda vs subaru

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need new car as my 00 Accord needs to be retired soon.

Mazda3 hatchback or impreza hatchback. Looking at 2015 models.

And please include your reason.

I am looking for reliability and safety over anything.

Originally Posted By: Voltmaster

I bought a 2014 Mazda CX-5. I liked it so much that I went back and bought my wife a 2012 leftover Mazda 3. Neither ever went back to the dealership for anything. I traded the CX-5 in for a Subaru Forester. The Forester was the shortest term of ownership of any vehicle I ever owned. The 2.5 boxer took an extremely long time to warm up, and the smooth as silk CVT began to get "notchy" after 400 miles. Both complaints were noted by the dealer and were "typical" of Foresters. I would never buy another Scooby, but I heartily endorse Mazda. I've owner three, and never had a problem with any of them.

I would choose the mazda for these reasons:

- Reliability
- MPGs
- Driving dynamics
- Build quality

You need to go to your dealerships,check and test drive for yourself. You will get all kinds of opinions here, in the end, it's your money being spent.

Originally Posted By: Voltmaster

1) In terms of reliability, I would give the edge to Mazda.
2) In terms of fuel economy, Mazda wins that one by far
3) You're from Cali therefore you don't need AWD (Subaru) which does impact fuel economy
4) In terms of rust, Mazda do not have a great reputation, Subaru is a little better. Seeing you're from Cali and don't see road salt, doesn't apply to you
5) In terms of price, Mazda is less expensive.

Good Luck!

I'm going to go against all the people saying the Mazda has the better MPG by far. I have the 2012 Impreza, which gets 1mpg less according to the EPA, and I can EASILY get 42mpg highway on flat ground going at 55-60mph even without cruise control. And I haven't even gotten a throttlehappy tune, people are reporting a good 5-10% increase in fuel economy with it. Who knows, maybe I could get 45 or higher.

AWD is not just better for snow/dirt, even at 1/2 throttle most FWD cars will spin their tires on pavement from a stop and wear them faster and potentially cause an accident.

The biggest advantage of the Subaru is not being built half by Ford, one of the least reliable brands in the world. Mazda is partially owned by Ford, and many of the parts are Ford. The Subarus really don't have many issues except the oil burning on some engines, which is a small percent (some sources report 1 percent of the vehicles).

One other thing is the Subaru is easier to do maintenance on yourself in pretty much every way. That Mazda has a lot of the stuff hidden under engine covers or under the car. With subaru, when you open the hood, everything you need to do regular maintenance is right in your face.

edit: oh and CR rates the 3 as the least reliable Mazda model.. something to think about.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shrubitup
Neither brand are rated as reliable.

Go to tradeinqualityindex.com and see what they say on this topic.

Looks like the mentioned site has a lot of "old models".
Consumer Reporters rates current Mazda and Subaru high in owner satisfaction and reliability.

I would go with Mazda. Conventional 6 speed automatic, great handling with fun built in, zoom, zoom.

Originally Posted By: horse123
I'm going to go against all the people saying the Mazda has the better MPG by far. I have the 2012 Impreza, which gets 1mpg less according to the EPA, and I can EASILY get 42mpg highway on flat ground going at 55-60mph even without cruise control. And I haven't even gotten a throttlehappy tune, people are reporting a good 5-10% increase in fuel economy with it. Who knows, maybe I could get 45 or higher.

Doing those speeds I get about 49-50 MPG minimum (2012 Mazda3 skyactiv). Subaru is always going to fall behind comparing an AWD to a FWD.

also, mazda and ford do not work together anymore and haven't for a while. you are using old info.

also, the mazda is easier to DIY than the subaru. The inline 4 is much easier to get to everything compared to the boxer, especially spark plugs.

Last edited:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda

What's that you say, Ford is a partial owner? Why thank you wikipedia!

And how wonderful for you that you can claim to get more MPG than me! My car weighs 300 pounds more, drags along a long driveshaft and rear differential, and it still gets better MPG than anyone could hope for in a gasoline powered car.

AWD is not just better for snow/dirt, even at 1/2 throttle most FWD cars will spin their tires on pavement from a stop and wear them faster and potentially cause an accident.

The biggest advantage of the Subaru is not being built half by Ford, one of the least reliable brands in the world. Mazda is partially owned by Ford, and many of the parts are Ford. The Subarus really don't have many issues except the oil burning on some engines, which is a small percent (some sources report 1 percent of the vehicles).

One other thing is the Subaru is easier to do maintenance on yourself in pretty much every way. That Mazda has a lot of the stuff hidden under engine covers or under the car. With subaru, when you open the hood, everything you need to do regular maintenance is right in your face.

edit: oh and CR rates the 3 as the least reliable Mazda model.. something to think about.

"Ford currently holding 2.1% of Mazda stock in 2014 and severing most production as well as development ties."
link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda

Last edited:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda

What's that you say, Ford is a partial owner? Why thank you wikipedia!

And how wonderful for you that you can claim to get more MPG than me! My car weighs 300 pounds more, drags along a long driveshaft and rear differential, and it still gets better MPG than anyone could hope for in a gasoline powered car.

This is a thread about comparing the Impreza and 3. MPG from real world users is a wonderful addition. No need to get defensive.

"severing" not "severed"

Companies don't just end relationships in a day like people can.

The relationship isn't over. Just the cross engineering and production facilities sharing is over. Mazda designs and builds Mazdas. Ford designs and builds Fords. This isn't a new development.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back