Mazda vs subaru

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BowNisPar
Originally Posted By: horse123
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda

What's that you say, Ford is a partial owner? Why thank you wikipedia!

And how wonderful for you that you can claim to get more MPG than me! My car weighs 300 pounds more, drags along a long driveshaft and rear differential, and it still gets better MPG than anyone could hope for in a gasoline powered car.

This is a thread about comparing the Impreza and 3. MPG from real world users is a wonderful addition. No need to get defensive.

Exactly!

I like them both. As previously stated, if you are in a "foul weather" area, the Subaru with the AWD would have the edge. Otherwise, the Mazda 3 would be my choice because it has a little more "fun" factor in the driving experience.

safety:
http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shoppers...?vehicleId=9070
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/mazda/3-4-door-hatchback

http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shoppers...?vehicleId=9255
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/subaru/impreza-4-door-sedan

reliability?
That seems more subjective, as it is harder to predict future reliability based on past. I would say that they are similar, in terms of overall brand reliability.

Drive them both, see which one fits you better, personally. I'm sure they're both great cars.

My 2012 Mazda hasn't given any issue of any kind except the paint seems to just chip off easy. Got various little chiped of specs here and there. I drive it in the same places they same way as my other vehicles but just it has the problem.other than that its been rock solid for 80k.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy American now though. My fusion is hands down the best car I ever owned.

Last edited:
My relatives in the car Business dont have much good to say about either.I drove the Mazda 3 and my head was touching the headliner.It felt small. I would pick an Hyundai over both.
They are very reliable.Better ratings than Toyota.

I have experience with three different Imprezas and own a 2014 Ford Focus (very similar to last generation Mazda3). Dollars/mile I would expect the Mazda to come out ahead. It will be faster and more fun to drive IMHO. I would consider test driving a manual transmission Ford Focus while you are at it.

Last edited:
Mazda has better styling, MPG, fun to drive factor, quality-reliability, and u don't need AWD usually in CA.

Originally Posted By: ronbo
Originally Posted By: Shrubitup
Neither brand are rated as reliable.

Go to tradeinqualityindex.com and see what they say on this topic.

Looks like the mentioned site has a lot of "old models".
Consumer Reporters rates current Mazda and Subaru high in owner satisfaction and reliability.

I would go with Mazda. Conventional 6 speed automatic, great handling with fun built in, zoom, zoom.

We had a year 2000 Mazda MPV from new. Barely made it to 100K miles. Junk. Sure, it's an "older" model but their depth of fail at the time leads me to believe they can easily offer more fail.

I have a Nissan Titan which has a reliable motor and transmission but other small minor issues. The fail provided by Nissan regarding warranty repair has been poor. Despite a mostly great vehicle I will not buy Nissan again due to their warranty service void.

Of all the Honda's I've owned none have needed warranty service - ever.

I don't think either would be a bad choice. I've been extremely pleased with the 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 I've owned for over eight years and 153,500 miles. That said, I'm one and done on FWD; my next car may well be an STI- I don't think that I can wait for the rumored AWD MS3 due in 2017(or later).

It pains me to say this as the owner of 3 Subaru's. I'd avoid the new ones. Why? A good friend of mine is a 25 year Subie "Senior Master Tech" and said the new generation are full of issues. Told me to buy the Nissan Altima. I have 3 "Gen II" (00/01/02) Outbacks and love them. He does some of the work on them and said that generation was very reliable other than the head gaskets.

HAHAHA!!! Nissan being more reliable... that's funny. Super funny. Nissan is [censored]. They're trying to shove luxury into their $20,000 small family haulers, and can you guess what suffers because of it?

I guess everyone is different, but I can't begin judging quality until a car is getting close to 200,000 miles.

Cars shouldn't have ANY warranty work!

Seems that site is a cluster you know what.

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX

I guess everyone is different, but I can't begin judging quality until a car is getting close to 200,000 miles.

Cars shouldn't have ANY warranty work!

That's what I was saying. I've had other brands that routinely had warranty issues but none of the Honda's I've had up to nearly 200K have needed warranty service. To me, that's a good sign of quality. Not saying others haven't ever needed warranty experience on their Honda's but I haven't.

Originally Posted By: CT8

Seems that site is a cluster you know what.

IMO, that site is easy to read. JMO tho.

The Subarus really don't have many issues except the oil burning on some engines, which is a small percent (some sources report 1 percent of the vehicles).

Which must be why it affects 4 model years and there is a class action lawsuit about it right?
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/laws...ing-071714.html

And then there were the ones that were popping head gaskets.

One other thing is the Subaru is easier to do maintenance on yourself in pretty much every way.

Unless you are doing anything that involves the cylinder head(s), like changing the plugs, a coil....etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back