Mazda Premacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

Tell us a little bit more about the Premacy.
Who does this belong to?
What year?
What drivetrain?
How many km/miles?
What oil & other lubricants are used?
etc.

Looks like a Suzuki Samurai that used to be sole here in the states.

Well that's a mystery...
Doesn't look like a Mazda Premacy.
Appears to be a Suzuki something.
Carjam says the plate is allocated to a Mazda Proceed.
Must be a story here...

It's a Suzuki Sidekick/Vitara that was rebadged as a Mazda. It was sold as a Proceed Levante by Mazda, which is separate from the Proceed truck, a design that was Mazda for most of it's history.

From what I can gather Mazda provided Suzuki with a diesel engine in exchange for Suzuki providing Mazda with a small SUV to sell. They were JDM only, but it's not surprising one would show up in New Zealand given their loose import policies.

They're not bad rigs for what they are. Wish you could buy a real 4wd that size these days.

Last edited:
Ooops, yeah, a Proceed. I got given the job, walked all around the yard and couldn't find a Mazda, but then saw the plate on a Vitara. I told the guys out front I'd do the Suzuki instead eh ? They looked puzzled, check on Carjam, rego sticker - it's a Mazda Proced alright, and badged as one too. Just an example of the minefield we get to work in here.

Used to love banging about in My early 90's GEO Tracker ( which was still the smaller, lighter rebadged Sidekick ) until GM messed up the formula "americanising" the little beast and ruining the original Suzuki formula.

The Suzuki had Stellar Jeep -destroying offroad command.

Not mine but close ...

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Hohocc
Well that's a mystery...
Doesn't look like a Mazda Premacy.
Appears to be a Suzuki something.
Carjam says the plate is allocated to a Mazda Proceed.
Must be a story here...

I believe the Mazda Premacy is a minivan-type vehicle -- sold in the US as the Mazda 5 through 2015.

Originally Posted by paoester
ARCOgraphite, roll cage needed on that nice blue Tracker-Sidekick. Big time.

yep that roof support looks a bit flimsy
smile.gif

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Used to love banging about in My early 90's GEO Tracker ( which was still the smaller, lighter rebadged Sidekick ) until GM messed up the formula "americanising" the little beast and ruining the original Suzuki formula.

Not mine but close ...

[Linked Image]

People laugh at these old Suzuki rigs, but they're a lot more capable than most brodozers. They're slow, but it's real deal 4WD in a very reliable, simple rig with plenty of aftermarket support. There are a lot of places a small rig can go that a massive urban assault vehicle is simply too large to get to. It's why Humvees tend to suck offroad, they're just way too big.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Is it a toad? What appear to be tow hitch mounts under the bumper cover are massive.

Yes, those are mounts for an A frame, towed behind a Camper van. We have a Daihatsu Terios in today as well with A frame mounts. Seems a small 4x4 is the thing to tow behind a camper.

Originally Posted by littlehulkster
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

People laugh at these old Suzuki rigs, but they're a lot more capable than most brodozers. They're slow, but it's real deal 4WD in a very reliable, simple rig with plenty of aftermarket support. There are a lot of places a small rig can go that a massive urban assault vehicle is simply too large to get to. It's why Humvees tend to suck offroad, they're just way too big.

Many don't know they were full body on frame, 4x4 F-150 style swing arm front axles, solid axle 4 link rear. Just toss a British Leyland Rover (ne: Buick) 215 V8 in there and you're good to go big time!

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back