Mazda PE01-14-302 Factory Filter CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks good! Thank you for posting
smile.gif

What did you replace it with?

Mine come with a factory plastic seal over the filter area to insure it's clean and dirt free. $15 Mobil 1, Amsoil, Royal Purple don't even have this "feature". Gotta Love Mazda's attention to detail.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Looks good! Thank you for posting
smile.gif

What did you replace it with?

The Mazda filters are unusual in this size as they don't have an ADBV. The only filters like this that will fit are OEM and the Wix 57002 (if memory serves me). So I went with a Mazda 1WPE-14-302. This is their "new" filter from Thailand, no longer made by Tokyo Roki. If someone knows where to get the Toykos for a decent price let me know. That being said, I'm at a 5-7.5k OCI while under warranty, so I'm not too worried about them holding up. I'll cut this next one open when it comes off the car and post it here to see how it compares.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Mine come with a factory plastic seal over the filter area to insure it's clean and dirt free. $15 Mobil 1, Amsoil, Royal Purple don't even have this "feature". Gotta Love Mazda's attention to detail.

I totally agree. For such a small company you can really see their attention to detail! I'm pretty sure being slightly OCD is an HR requirement for hire at Mazda.

Its a shame you cant get the Tokyo Roki any more. I tried just this week to get one off ebay that pictured and stated it was a japenese filter but I got the Thai one. I have given up. Just bugs me. I need something else in my life to worry about...

I thought the Thailand filters were from a Tokyo Roki factory there? In any case I have heard good things about them as well.

PS: My understanding is that they changed the name to just Roki for their overseas factories.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PimTac
I thought the Thailand filters were from a Tokyo Roki factory there? In any case I have heard good things about them as well.

PS: My understanding is that they changed the name to just Roki for their overseas factories.

They might be. I don't remember the one I installed saying Roki on it anywhere. We'll tell at the dissection. I really hope I'm pleasantly surprised.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

I believe they are made by Denso in Thailand. I also believe the PE01-14-302A-MV that is made in Mexico which my dealer has is made by Wix. It has the same markings as a wix 57002 that is made in Mexico.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
I believe they are made by Denso in Thailand. I also believe the PE01-14-302A-MV that is made in Mexico which my dealer has is made by Wix. It has the same markings as a wix 57002 that is made in Mexico.

That would be fantastic if it is made by Denso. Now I'm really looking forward to to taking it apart.

Its definitely a Denso unit. I went out and poked around in my garage and compared it to my wife's Denso toyota filter. They both have similar part numbers written on the bottom of the box and both have a cellophane wrapped filter top and pre greased O ring type gasket.

The bypass valve looks like it would flow really well. I don't understand why some filters have a dinky bypass when it is a critical area for oil flow. Looking it up, I don't think Denso makes an oil filter for this car. The aftermarket Denso oil filters went to China for their manufacturing.

I have read that Mazda specifies a specific oil filter for their SkyActiv engines due to the pressure system. The OEM Denso is approved and some here say that Wix has a filter that works. I would stay the course with the Denso.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back