Mazda Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil SG1

In 2016, Mazda changed the recommendation for the transfer case and rear differential on the CX-5 from an 80w90 GL-5 to Mazda Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil SG1. Anyone have any technical data on this Mazda OE fluid?

RamFan

My transfer case and rear diff change is coming up in a little less than 5k miles. Gonna bump this in case anyone has learned anything on this fluid, or discovered a suitable aftermarket alternative.

I own a 2019 Miata. One thing I did was check fluid levels. My diff takes Hypoid gear SG1 and was just a bit low so I bought 2 quarts. My diff. Only takes .6 quart and used just a little bit of one bottle. The scheduled maintenance calls for a change if the rear axle gets submerged and has no set time or mileage for change. I assume you want to change it to feel warm and fuzzy?

Last edited:

RamFan

Originally Posted by Bill_W
I assume you want to change it to feel warm and fuzzy?
Pretty much. Manual calls for a 75k spark plug change, figured I'd take care of drive train fluids at that time also.

bump, my 16 cx5 awd manual recommend changing the diff fluid at 28k miles under severe service, my severe usage is very short daily trips,like 3-4miles total a day in two trips in city low speeds. the dealership said they never change the diff oil only if it sank in water. should i change it anyway? tnx.

MolaKule

Staff member
Originally Posted by RamFan
In 2016, Mazda changed the recommendation for the transfer case and rear differential on the CX-5 from an 80w90 GL-5 to Mazda Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil SG1. Anyone have any technical data on this Mazda OE fluid?
Before asking this type of question - Have the fluid analyzed in a VOA so we can determine viscosity and elemental values.

Last edited:

MolaKule

Staff member
Originally Posted by avi1777
bump, my 16 cx5 awd manual recommend changing the diff fluid at 28k miles under severe service, my severe usage is very short daily trips,like 3-4miles total a day in two trips in city low speeds. the dealership said they never change the diff oil only if it sank in water. should i change it anyway? tnx.
I would refresh it under the Severe Service interval.

bought 1quart from ebay which cost me 50$,beacuse sg1 is no where to be found in israel,now I see I will need a quart plus 150cc more or less for the diff and transfer 🤦‍♂️