Mazda guys...

I drove a 2018 CX-5 for two weeks why my car was being repaired from a collision. I really wanted to like that car but It seemed to have some short comings. It was the standard 4 cyl and really lacked power. It strained and was loud trying to get up the half mile steep hill to my house. The steering was not the greatest on the highway and felt light. The build was definately on the tinny side and many things seemed cheap. I was really glad to get out of that car when time was up. Now don't get me wrong, I am not bashing the car. They are very reliable and get excellent gas mileage. The car just did not have what I like in a vehicle. If your parents are happy with it I am sure that it will serve them well.
This is a first. Never heard it described as "cheap" feeling. Not sure what you drive normally, but the CX5 has consistently been rated as most luxurious of the class. Maybe it was the trim you got. 186 hp is not much.

Well, if you talk about the turbo, then no CD system. Turbo's have been reliable. They are bottom-end, mid-range oriented. They do run out of breath at the higher revs.

Nothing wrong with Mazda's 6 speed automatic. Just as PimTac says.

A related vehicle, the CX30 (top trim) AWD turbo, my sister in law and brother in law have... They like it.

Personally, I don't think I'd buy ANY gasoline powered reasonably sized 4 cylinder vehicle these days unless it were turbocharged (probably, preferably) or supercharged. My Mazda is not because that's the only way I could get the 6mt...and that was late 2016.

I realize I'm overly fussy (and shall we say frugal). I'm stuck in the late 90's as I said at the outset. The 99 Camry I have was one of Toyota's best by way of quality... and as reasonably durable as a person would expect of a Japanese car.

If I were willing to let the moths out of my wallet (and to steel myself for long-term electrical and electronic grief) I'd probably have a VWAG or M Sport BMW car (the only manual transmission ones these days) ...(for reason of solidity of feel, paint quality, rustproofedness).

Last edited:
This is a first. Never heard it described as "cheap" feeling. Not sure what you drive normally, but the CX5 has consistently been rated as most luxurious of the class. Maybe it was the trim you got. 186 hp is not much.
It was a rental. So probably the lowest trim model.

We test drove the CX-5 and CX-9 during our recent family hauler shopping.

Too much emphasis on styling and not enough on comfort for our tastes. The infotainment “knob” was horrible, and the 2.5T was underwhelming at best. I was thinking the MAzda would be a contender but it really just came off as flat.

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned an "energy management" display that indicates when cylinder deactivation is operating. There is no way to access such information in the 2018 CX-5, at least in the American version. (I think that may be different for European models.) The only way to get a hint about CD operation is to watch the instantaneous MPG display, and that's doubtful because any car's instantaneous MPG is going to jump when you ease off the accelerator or coast down a hill. I've never been able to sense when CD engages or disengages.

My only real complaint with my 2018 is the seats. Of course, different people have different reactions to the seats, but it's not uncommon for people to find them uncomfortable. The most common complaint is the bolsters, but some people also find the lumbar support unsatisfactory. Spend as much time as you can sitting in the car and see how it feels.

Is yours (or the one you speak of) a Turbo? If so there is no CD, and perhaps no such "screen"...
My 2018 CX-5 is naturally aspirated, not a turbo. If there's a way to see a display showing CD activity, I'd love to know about it. Pretty sure no such display exists for a 2018 CX-5 sold in America. I think I've seen forum posts about such a display in 2018 European models and perhaps even American models made in the most recent year or two.

My 2018 CX-5 is naturally aspirated, not a turbo. If there's a way to see a display showing CD activity, I'd love to know about it. Pretty sure no such display exists for a 2018 CX-5 sold in America. I think I've seen forum posts about such a display in 2018 European models and perhaps even American models made in the most recent year or two.

Having such a display would be distracting. Same with a AWD display. I know Mitsubishi has or used to have a display that showed the power going to each wheel. It might be cool and techy but during the course of driving not something to watch.

Mazda likes to keep the driver interface simple while letting the computers decide the AWD power, the G Vectoring and when to shut off two cylinders amongst other things.

The dealership has a 2016 CX5 GT with very few miles. Are there any common issue with this year? My friend had a GT and loved it. Put 110k on it without any repairs. I thought she said there were some recalls on the 2016.

Are there any concern in buying a car with so few miles that is 5 years old.

No issues that I know of. The 2016 and 2016.5 model runs were the last of the first generation. 2017 saw big changes such as a wider chassis, better soundproofing, a new interior and some comfort features that were not available before like rear seat climate vents and automatic lift gate.

The engine also saw some updates including a new offset crankshaft, updated pistons and rings, asymmetrical cylinder, and the new G Vectoring Control among others.

If you own or are familiar with Mazda, are there any specific issues with the 2018 CX-5 that I should know about before purchasing one? Looks like my parents need a car and I have read good things about Mazda over the last few years. But each model has its own problems across any given brand. So would like your thoughts.

Also just read about rust being an issue. Since we are in the NE, that would be of particular interest to me.

Not an ideal time to buy a car, but they are in a bind and not much we can do about that.:mad:

Will also get a Mazda forum and ask there.

Thanks!
The only issue is the cylinder deactivation needed a software update. Otherwise super reliable.

The engine also saw some updates including a new offset crankshaft, updated pistons and rings, asymmetrical cylinder, and the new G Vectoring Control among others.
Were the pre 2017 non SkyActiv? Can you explain your comments re asymmetrical cylinder? What is that? Is the crankshaft centreline offset relative to the cylinder centrelines plane?
TIA

Were the pre 2017 non SkyActiv? Can you explain your comments re asymmetrical cylinder? What is that? Is the crankshaft centreline offset relative to the cylinder centrelines plane?
TIA

First, SkyActiv started on 2011 as I recall. Mazda uses CQI (continuous quality improvement) so changes are made all the time.

I may have misspoke on the asymmetric cylinder. It should be the piston.

As for the rest I defer to Dave Coleman. He knows this stuff inside out.

So, trying to decide between 2016 and 2018, lots of good upgrades for the 2018...but the scary thing is the head gasket issues that are being talked. I don't like cylinder deactivation at all. I also read about the low speed "jerky" feeling in the car....so if you are under 10 mph u feel the car jerking. will test that out.

This car is for elderly people on fixed income. They can't afford to drop all this money and a few years later deal with head gasket. Heard head gasket issues arise between 40-60k. Most of the 2018s I'm seeing are about 35k.

On Mazda6club.com, well, only one member had a head cracking issue. A 2014 or a 2015. To be clear, many more CX-5's of model years 2018+ sold versus Mazda6's for those years... But some of the folks on that forum have more than 200,000 miles. We all have found our Mazda6's to be EXCEEDINGLY reliable.

I'm a fussy SOB ... but the last thing I'd ever say would be that the SkyActiv platform is unreliable in any way.

Here is where I read about the head gasket.

I do believe Mazda makes excellent cars.

Back