Mazda guys...

EEE

If you own or are familiar with Mazda, are there any specific issues with the 2018 CX-5 that I should know about before purchasing one? Looks like my parents need a car and I have read good things about Mazda over the last few years. But each model has its own problems across any given brand. So would like your thoughts.

Also just read about rust being an issue. Since we are in the NE, that would be of particular interest to me.

Not an ideal time to buy a car, but they are in a bind and not much we can do about that.:mad:

Will also get a Mazda forum and ask there.

Thanks!

Krown, Noxudol, or some other rustproofing service will help with preventing the rust :)

As someone else already said, depreciation isn't much now, and since new car interest rates are cheaper, you might as well buy brand new, especially if you're financing.

The only issue I can think of is the asking price where I live for used is only $2K cheaper than a new one. Look hard at new ones and be willing to put down a deposit and travel if needed.
Krown, Noxudol, or some other rustproofing service will help with preventing the rust :)

As someone else already said, depreciation isn't much now, and since new car interest rates are cheaper, you might as well buy brand new, especially if you're financing.
Thanks guys. There are several 2018 CX-5 locally. All maintained by the dealer that sold them at 5k intervals. The one that is interesting is a touring model with about 35k on it they want $21k. Clean carfax. Would prefer a little lower mileage to take advantage of the factory warranty if needed. Didn't see anything the owner went into the shop for other than regular service. I have been looking at Lexus for myself and depending on which model I looked at certain cars were always in the shop for alignment issues. A few had been in the shop 10x in 7 months and looked like the owner got fed up and traded the car in.

Mazda is running a 2.9% rate on CPO CX-5.

2021 CX-5 touring is almost $30k. I think they are doing 1.9 or 0.9% on these. But I hear dealers are asking above sticker price on new cars. Not sure.

I've long thought there may be a CX-5 in our driveway at some point, so I've been following the SkyActiv vehicles since they came out.

The parts manager at our closest Mazda dealership is a very good fellow, and says that the SkyActiv engines have been excellent so far, along with the new post-Ford Mazdas in general.

As far as the rust problems of the past, I haven't seen a rusty Mazda newer than about 10 years old. Granted, this is not full-on rust belt like southern Ontario, Quebec, New England, or the American Midwest, but it's bad enough.

I get my cars oil-sprayed regardless.

I've long thought there may be a CX-5 in our driveway at some point, so I've been following the SkyActiv vehicles since they came out.

The parts manager at our closest Mazda dealership is a very good fellow, and says that the SkyActiv engines have been excellent so far, along with the new post-Ford Mazdas in general.

As far as the rust problems of the past, I haven't seen a rusty Mazda newer than about 10 years old. Granted, this is not full-on rust belt like southern Ontario, Quebec, New England, or the American Midwest, but it's bad enough.

Thanks. I have never done oil spraying...living in the North East for the last 30 years and having had several cars. They were Honda, but I'm not touching the new Honda. Need to learn about Mazda differential service and transmission drain/fill procedure. If it is as easy as my Honda, it will make life easier.

If you own or are familiar with Mazda, are there any specific issues with the 2018 CX-5 that I should know about before purchasing one? Looks like my parents need a car and I have read good things about Mazda over the last few years. But each model has its own problems across any given brand. So would like your thoughts.

Also just read about rust being an issue. Since we are in the NE, that would be of particular interest to me.

Not an ideal time to buy a car, but they are in a bind and not much we can do about that.:mad:

Will also get a Mazda forum and ask there.

Thanks!
Rust proof any mazda that you end up getting.
No real issues to think of great cars.
The metal seems a little thin to me on all mazdas but nothing crazy.
They want to save weight where they can.

Great driving dynamics, the best among the common auto makers in North America.

Thanks. I have never done oil spraying...living in the North East for the last 30 years and having had several cars. They were Honda, but I'm not touching the new Honda. Need to learn about Mazda differential service and transmission drain/fill procedure. If it is as easy as my Honda, it will make life easier.
Mazda atf chage is easier than an oil change.
I have done 4 drain and fills on my 16 Mazda 6 already.
Zero issues.

No rust issues here thankfully. I really like the Mazda product line. Just nothing they make really fits what I am looking for right now. But if they made something I needed, they would be high on my list.

Avoid a 2017 crystal red color. Known for paint chipping easily, mine is.
The cx-5 drives great , rides great, and is very quiet.
The things that bother me are, the auto wipers, I'd rather have the variable delay on the stalk, as the auto wipers never work right.
Also if my wife and I both have fobs in out pockets there will be a long 5 second beeping every time we open the door/doors, I have no idea why, but annoying.
Cold weather short trips will cause fuel dilution, this may be fixed on newer models.
Overall I like it ,just not the electronic glitches.

Avoid a 2017 crystal red color. Known for paint chipping easily, mine is.
The cx-5 drives great , rides great, and is very quiet.
The things that bother me are, the auto wipers, I'd rather have the variable delay on the stalk, as the auto wipers never work right.
Also if my wife and I both have fobs in out pockets there will be a long 5 second beeping every time we open the door/doors, I have no idea why, but annoying.
Cold weather short trips will cause fuel dilution, this may be fixed on newer models.
Overall I like it ,just not the electronic glitches.

Oil dilution seems to be everywhere these days. This is for my parents who don't go on long trips. mostly 15-20 at max in town. I plan on changing the oil at 5k or less to alleviate the dilution.

Have a '17 Mazda6. Low miles. Manual transmission (rare) but I am 'real familiar with their automatic. I like my car, don't get me wrong, but I offer the following in a bit of a "curmudgeonly" way. Note, my only point of reference, though, are my two 1999 Toyota's...

- reliable, long lived engine that does not have a track record of coking intake valves
- if intake valve decoking were necessary access is very good
- service points are very accessible
- engine bottom-end torque is a bit weak... and Skyactiv-G technology doesn't give you a hotrod of an engine
- decent fuel economy
- electric power steering is pretty decent, but I can tell it's electric and these systems rarely are as easy to drive at highway speeds as are hydraulic systems
- beware of dropping ATF without thoroughly cleaning off ledge that "dipstick" bolts down to. In my opinion this merits removal of airbox first to absolutely ensure no swarf enters the a/t
- don't believe Mazda when they say the a/t is not a service item, or it is sealed for life
- built to a budget... looks good, but to me, it's a "fragile" build
- paint is very, very thin. Susceptible, very easily, to rock chips. So thin that PPF applied to it might threaten to take the paint off upon removal
- thin gauge sheet metal
- really, really thin and wear-prone carpets
- reputedly poor durability double-sided galvanized sheet metal
- barely e-coated/phosphated fabricated steel suspension members and subframes, with the latter very prone to corroding. Absolutely merits close attention and painting/coating when new to avert issues.

Like I say, "curmudgeonly-rendered" comments...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-09-17-23-10-34.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-09-17-23-10-34.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 19
Have a '17 Mazda6. Low miles. Manual transmission (rare) but I am 'real familiar with their automatic. I like my car, don't get me wrong, but I offer the following in a bit of a "curmudgeonly" way. Note, my only point of reference, though, are my two 1999 Toyota's...

- reliable, long lived engine that does not have a track record of coking intake valves
- if intake valve decoking were necessary access is very good
- service points are very accessible
- engine bottom-end torque is a bit weak... and Skyactiv-G technology doesn't give you a hotrod of an engine
- decent fuel economy
- electric power steering is pretty decent, but I can tell it's electric and these systems rarely are as easy to drive at highway speeds as are hydraulic systems
- beware of dropping ATF without thoroughly cleaning off ledge that "dipstick" bolts down to. In my opinion this merits removal of airbox first to absolutely ensure no swarf enters the a/t
- don't believe Mazda when they say the a/t is not a service item, or it is sealed for life
- built to a budget... looks good, but to me, it's a "fragile" build
- paint is very, very thin. Susceptible, very easily, to rock chips. So thin that PPF applied to it might threaten to take the paint off upon removal
- thin gauge sheet metal
- really, really thin and wear-prone carpets
- reputedly poor durability double-sided galvanized sheet metal
- barely e-coated/phosphated fabricated steel suspension members and subframes, with the latter very prone to corroding. Absolutely merits close attention and painting/coating when new to avert issues.

Like I say, "curmudgeonly-rendered" comments...
Very thorough. I was not aware of most of the items you mentioned. paint, etc. I have several friends with the CX5 and have not heard anything negative about them. No mention of rust or anything. I don't believe in lifetime fluids.

I own a ‘17 CX5. It has been flawless. I change the oil every 5000 miles running 0w20 and the Mazda Roki filter from the dealer until this last change when I had the dealer do it.

I have heard the stories about rust bust I haven’t seen it yet. I get just a tad over 33 mpg at the moment. I do drive sensibly though

This SkyActiv 2.5 is the smoothest engine I have owned. The automatic transmission is intuitive and upshifts and downshifts when needed without any prodding from me. The AWD system is predictive and has given me assurance in the snow and ice plus the wet weather we get here about 9 months of the year.

In 2018 Mazda added cylinder deactivation to the 2.5 on the CX5. There were some early issues but a software update fixed those.

If your parents like it then you really cannot go wrong with the CX5.

I own a ‘17 CX5. It has been flawless. I change the oil every 5000 miles running 0w20 and the Mazda Roki filter from the dealer until this last change when I had the dealer do it.

I have heard the stories about rust bust I haven’t seen it yet. I get just a tad over 33 mpg at the moment. I do drive sensibly though

This SkyActiv 2.5 is the smoothest engine I have owned. The automatic transmission is intuitive and upshifts and downshifts when needed without any prodding from me. The AWD system is predictive and has given me assurance in the snow and ice plus the wet weather we get here about 9 months of the year.

In 2018 Mazda added cylinder deactivation to the 2.5 on the CX5. There were some early issues but a software update fixed those.

If your parents like it then you really cannot go wrong with the CX5.

Apparently the 2018s have seen some head gasket failures. Odd since its the same engine as the 2017. I personally don't care for the cylinder deactivation. Maybe the head gasket failures are related to the cylinder deactivation.

I agree with much Pimtac says, but he and I agree to differ, so to speak, re the cylinder de-activation system evident on some post 2017 naturally aspirated 2.5 engines. One TSB was issued for all such vehicles. A second tab was issued only for those folks who complained about rough cd operation or the transitions. It's debatable, but a lot of folks indicate that the 2nd TSB was ineffectual. Don't get me wrong... it is difficult to know just what percentage folks with cd have issues, but some definitely do. I would recommend a through test drive, where you run the centre screen on "energy management" or some such, where it indicates when cd is operating. Test at multiple operating points, test the transitions. If it bugs you do not for one moment think the dealer or Mazda corporate will be able to solve your prb.

This is just my opinion.

I agree with much Pimtac says, but he and I agree to differ, so to speak, re the cylinder de-activation system evident on some post 2017 naturally aspirated 2.5 engines. One TSB was issued for all such vehicles. A second tab was issued only for those folks who complained about rough cd operation or the transitions. It's debatable, but a lot of folks indicate that the 2nd TSB was ineffectual. Don't get me wrong... it is difficult to know just what percentage folks with cd have issues, but some definitely do. I would recommend a through test drive, where you run the centre screen on "energy management" or some such, where it indicates when cd is operating. Test at multiple operating points, test the transitions. If it bugs you do not for one moment think the dealer or Mazda corporate will be able to solve your prb.

This is just my opinion.
Good to know. The dealer has a 2016 with 13000 miles. Might consider that to avoid the CD.

What do you mean by "test at multiple operating points"?

I drove a 2018 CX-5 for two weeks why my car was being repaired from a collision. I really wanted to like that car but It seemed to have some short comings. It was the standard 4 cyl and really lacked power. It strained and was loud trying to get up the half mile steep hill to my house. The steering was not the greatest on the highway and felt light. The build was definately on the tinny side and many things seemed cheap. I was really glad to get out of that car when time was up. Now don't get me wrong, I am not bashing the car. They are very reliable and get excellent gas mileage. The car just did not have what I like in a vehicle. If your parents are happy with it I am sure that it will serve them well.

Back