Mazda guys...

I always heard claims that Mazda fixed their rust issues back when I was purchasing my ‘11 Mazda6. At 155k miles it has had a new front subframe installed under recall and a new rear subframe (from a junkyard) installed due to rust. The corrosion protection was poor. I POR-15’d the entire underside of my car to stave off the tin worms.

Definitely get rust protection prior to winter with a Mazda if you live in the north.

Otherwise they seem to be great vehicles.

Thank you all for your comments. My parents test drove a CX-30 and they liked it. Bought it.

For maintenance, I like to change the oil on my cars. But am hesitant to mess with the CX30 as it is under warranty. Has anyone had issues with warranty not being honored due to maintenance record? Of course, keeping the oil receipts, filters (bought from Mazda), etc. will help. But whose to say the oil was actually change? Not sure how Mazda is with this type of stuff.

Parents only put about 5k on each car a year. So, its not like it would be cost prohibitive to go to the dealer once a year. Although, the 5k miles are not easy miles. Lots of short trips, stop and go in town, etc.

Would an even more aggressive oil change interval be called for?

I really would prefer to do the oil change myself to ensure it gets the "best" oil that I can buy. Not sure what the dealer puts in.

Thank you all for your comments. My parents test drove a CX-30 and they liked it. Bought it.

For maintenance, I like to change the oil on my cars. But am hesitant to mess with the CX30 as it is under warranty. Has anyone had issues with warranty not being honored due to maintenance record? Of course, keeping the oil receipts, filters (bought from Mazda), etc. will help. But whose to say the oil was actually change? Not sure how Mazda is with this type of stuff.

Parents only put about 5k on each car a year. So, its not like it would be cost prohibitive to go to the dealer once a year. Although, the 5k miles are not easy miles. Lots of short trips, stop and go in town, etc.

Would an even more aggressive oil change interval be called for?

I really would prefer to do the oil change myself to ensure it gets the "best" oil that I can buy. Not sure what the dealer puts in.

They will like that CX30. It is a big seller for Mazda right now.

Up until lately I did my oil changes on the cx5. I kept pictures of the receipts on my iPhone along with a log. Mazda recently confirmed that Idemitsu is their oil of choice and dealers have been switching to that from Castrol. Check with the dealer to see what they use when you buy the filter.

Any major brand of 0w20 will run fine in those engines.

They will like that CX30. It is a big seller for Mazda right now.

Up until lately I did my oil changes on the cx5. I kept pictures of the receipts on my iPhone along with a log. Mazda recently confirmed that Idemitsu is their oil of choice and dealers have been switching to that from Castrol. Check with the dealer to see what they use when you buy the filter.

Any major brand of 0w20 will run fine in those engines.

Any thoughts on undercarriage rust protection? Several times I have heard about it now relating to Mazda.

Any thoughts on undercarriage rust protection? Several times I have heard about it now relating to Mazda.

That is a argumentative topic here. I have no rust on mine but if you live in the rust belt or near the ocean then, as with any vehicle should consider it.

That is a argumentative topic here. I have no rust on mine but if you live in the rust belt or near the ocean then, as with any vehicle should consider it.
Very interest. Lots of talk online about it.

I check with a few friends around here who have had 4 Mazdas. Non can confirm rust. They all do their own oil changes. One car, CX9 goes back to 2008. Another is a mazda 5, with 160k on it. Don't know year. Driven winter in NE.

There is a factory recall (for US cars) on 2nd generation Mazda6's for front subframe replacement... but not back subframe. However, both are equally problematic. That vehicle ran up to 2013 model year in North America...

If you're handy, scuff up the (poor) factory paint on these elements, best as you can, then prime and paint with (hopefully) oil based paint, then apply a good waxy relatively tough, tenacious "undersealer" and a cavity wax to boxed in sections you cannot reach. This'd be the deluxe way of treating these elements...

Contentious whether this degree of effort is needed...

I am definitely a 'Mazda guy' and consider them one of the best makers out there. The Skyactiv G is a great, long lasting engine.
I don't know if Mazda has fixed the 'rust issue' but I do agree that their paint is on the thin side (easily chipped).

Back