mazda (ford cd4e) fluid recomendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a 98 model 626. I have 10,000 miles on rebuild, warranty runs out at 12,000 miles.I will be changing the fluid at 12 to 15k. I know its just drain and refill . It has a hayden cooler. I was wondering weather to use mercon or mercon v and what brand would work best at a 12 to 15k change interval (on this troublesome tranny).

I did read other post,I just wanted to be more specific with this tranny.

I agree with Big Jim. Mercon V is not compatible with the factory front seal on this transaxle. It could cause it to leak.

However, if you had it rebuilt recently and they used current stuff to do the job, the front seal has been changed to a viton material, which is compatible with Mercon V, and therefore could be used without trouble.

But, to be safe, go with a quality synthetic ATF and change the fluid on a regular basis. The CD4E needs as much help as it can get.

DH

I know that the 2005 CD4Es are improved over the older ones, but by how much? Can Mercon V be used in a 2005 CD4E? Have there been many post-1999 CD4E failures? (1999 is, I believe, when this transmission was improved for usage in the Escape).

^^^what Big Jim and FazerZ said^^^

My bro-in-law has a '98 Contour with that transaxle...I do a double drain-and-fill every year for him using Mercon...so far, so good.

quote:

Originally posted by leel:
It's a 98 model 626. I have 10,000 miles on rebuild, warranty runs out at 12,000 miles.I will be changing the fluid at 12 to 15k. I know its just drain and refill . It has a hayden cooler. I was wondering weather to use mercon or mercon v and what brand would work best at a 12 to 15k change interval (on this troublesome tranny).

I did read other post,I just wanted to be more specific with this tranny.

Either fluid will work. Dexron III/Mercon or MerconV/multivehicle fluids will work well.
You addressed the "heat problem" with a cooler and don't need the expense of a synthetic or even a blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back