Mazda factory fill question

On the factory installed Mazda Skyactiv they use 0w-20 high moly in naturally aspirated cars but in the turbo version they use 5w-30. The moly is significantly reduced in the 5w-30. For my 2019 Miata it is recommended in Mexico to use 5w-30. What is your thoughts on this?

The turbo engine may be equipped with DLC coatings. Therefore, one may have gone to another additive.

The japan OEM's use super thin oil (idemitsu) with alot of VII and moly to meet the 0w20 visc range. I don't like this formula and don't think its beneficial long term for GDI. The formula is probably different for 5w30. I wouldn't use a thick 5w30 like euro or HTHS >3.5. I tried this when I owned a skyactiv 2.0 and the engine felt sluggish. For N/A Skyactiv If you want to use a 5w30, go for just a regular ILSAC 5w30 (hths 3.0) or stick with 0w20. Then engine ran the best with quality 0w20 like M1 EP.

On the factory installed Mazda Skyactiv they use 0w-20 high moly in naturally aspirated cars but in the turbo version they use 5w-30. The moly is significantly reduced in the 5w-30. For my 2019 Miata it is recommended in Mexico to use 5w-30. What is your thoughts on this?

I would say that your climate is close enough to Mexico to give the 5w-30 a try.

Some European oil makers recommend 0w-20 for the 2.5L SkyActive and others recommend 5w-30 including oils that we would typically call "Euro" over on this side. Both will surely work okay but if you're curious, just give the 5w30 a try.

You can incrementally increase HTHS if you want at the next OC. If it feels too sluggish as another mentioned you could always thin it down.

You don’t have a turbo in your car. Are you racing it?
No… I run 0w-20 But the 0w-20 and the 5w-30 debate has been going on for a long time on the Miata forums. I expected Mazda factory fill even if it is for the turbo 2.5L to have a similar slug of moly.

I would say that your climate is close enough to Mexico to give the 5w-30 a try.

Some European oil makers recommend 0w-20 for the 2.5L SkyActive and others recommend 5w-30 including oils that we would typically call "Euro" over on this side. Both will surely work okay but if you're curious, just give the 5w30 a try.

You can incrementally increase HTHS if you want at the next OC. If it feels too sluggish as another mentioned you could always thin it down.
One other factor in Mexico is dust. That is hard on a engine. I am still under warranty and going to use Mazda’s requirements but after warranty will use 5w-20.

The japan OEM's use super thin oil (idemitsu) with alot of VII and moly to meet the 0w20 visc range. I don't like this formula and don't think its beneficial long term for GDI. The formula is probably different for 5w30. I wouldn't use a thick 5w30 like euro or HTHS >3.5. I tried this when I owned a skyactiv 2.0 and the engine felt sluggish. For N/A Skyactiv If you want to use a 5w30, go for just a regular ILSAC 5w30 (hths 3.0) or stick with 0w20. Then engine ran the best with quality 0w20 like M1 EP.
Looks like Japanese oils do not have any respect for base oil. Moly and VII at least for the 0w-20 equals good MPG.

No… I run 0w-20 But the 0w-20 and the 5w-30 debate has been going on for a long time on the Miata forums. I expected Mazda factory fill even if it is for the turbo 2.5L to have a similar slug of moly.

How do you find the factory tune? Are there any dead spots? Rev hang? I’d imagine there is room for improvement with a tune, but probably not too bad considering its a sports car.

Anything can be tuned to make 0w20 optimal and safe to use, just look at what Toyota has done with the detuned B58 BMW engine in the new Supra.

The Skyactive is different engine design than what is in my MZR, but I’d be wondering what effects if any, there would be by a slightly higher viscosity.

How do you find the factory tune? Are there any dead spots? Rev hang? I’d imagine there is room for improvement with a tune, but probably not too bad considering its a sports car.

Anything can be tuned to make 0w20 optimal and safe to use, just look at what Toyota has done with the detuned B58 BMW engine in the new Supra.

The Skyactive is different engine design than what is in my MZR, but I’d be wondering what effects if any, there would be by a slightly higher viscosity.
I am not experienced enough to give you an answer.

I'll give you my review after 18 months of ownership. There is no rev hang and the electronic throttle is tuned perfectly. Along with the 6 speed, its one of the best powertrains around.. As for oil, if you're going to track the car it would probably need a full fledged oil cooler with a temperature gauge. My ND2 had an oil "warmer" but I don't think it would do full track duty. For regular use, use a good 0w20 or 5w30 with dexos1 cert. There is not much to be gained with 5w30, they've been running 5w20 since the MZR days. The NA skyactiv engines dont fuel dilute like honda.

Which influences the OCI.
I would suppose you would want a higher MOFT too. Personally I think due to better cooling would favor a 20 weight oil in a warmer climate. In any case CAFE has been adapted in Canada but not in Mexico. The 0w-20 low base viscosity/high moly/high VII is a engineering design to meet. The low viscosity formula works in my view. (at least in the US)

Last edited:
Back