Mazda Engine Tick.

Is this a normal Mazda thing or something else. Someone I know has 2022 CX-5, with about 7500 miles on it. I noticed the engine ticking loudly once after she filled up. I panicked, checked the oil a few times after letting it sit for a couple hours, then added about about a 5th of a quart of 0-w20 and the tick still persisted.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and I noticed the same tick in the engine from a Mazda 6 and Mazda CX-3 while out walking.

Anybody know if this is just normal tick like old toyota V6's?

Thanks everyone, I'm not familiar with DI engines.

Now onto the mystery of the buzzing passenger headlight..

Thanks everyone, I'm not familiar with DI engines.

Now onto the mystery of the buzzing passenger headlight..
That one usually totals the car... As a fellow BITOGer I can save you from the trouble by trading that troublesome Mazda for any of the vehicles in my signature. And you don't even have to add cash on top, consider it a BITOG discount.

722.jpeg

My 2018 cx-5 ticks only on a cold/dry start . Once it's warmed up it stops. It's been this way since new . But I also noticed some brands of oils really quieted this down . ( same weight ) . Amsoils SS was super quiet , and castrol (gold bottle) . Also very quiet , oem oil and Castrol edge (black bottle).the tick was even louder on a cold start ...but all the ticking would stop ,once warmed up

My 2018 cx-5 ticks only on a cold/dry start . Once it's warmed up it stops. It's been this way since new . But I also noticed some brands of oils really quieted this down . ( same weight ) . Amsoils SS was super quiet , and castrol (gold bottle) . Also very quiet , oem oil and Castrol edge (black bottle).the tick was even louder on a cold start ...but all the ticking would stop ,once warmed up

These engines tend to be noisy on cold starts because of the exhaust manifold setup. Once the engine gets to a certain temperature the headers go into scavenging mode and then it will be quieter.

It’s not internal, it’s the headers plus the injector pump which is typical on all DI motors. Remember, this motor is high compression.

Back