Mazda emblem on steering wheel shines way too bright

Yo BITOG crew.

My Mazda 6 has a shiny, chrome-y emblem on the steering wheel and every now and then the sun glints off of that right into my eyes.

I had thought about dulling it with a scotch brite scrubbing pad or light sandpaper or covering with a paint of some sort such as model paint.

Might you have suggestions for tastefully removing the shine or covering it?

Much appreciated.
MazdaSteeringWheelEmblem.JPG

I believe Click and Clack used to sell an item that worked for this. Also worked on pesky check engine lights too.

Does the modification have to be reversible, so as to not impact resale value?

How hard is it to remove and replace the badge? I'm wondering if you could buy a second one and go to town on it. Buff it lightly with 1000 grit (2400?) so as to remove the shine or whatever. Then if you don't like the effect... buy another and try something different.

Not sure what year this Mazda is but it was a problem in the early SkyActiv years. I’ve read of people complaining mostly about the shiny chrome trim surrounds on the HVAC vents so this doesn’t surprise me. I think about 2016 Mazda toned it down a bit.

Get a Honda; the chrome rubs right off on them...

Seriously, if it's an issue, cover it with tape, unless you never plan to resell. IMO.

I like the magic marker idea the best. You don't really need to do the entire emblem, but find the offending surfaces and make them black. I think you could do a decent job, and it would come off in the future if you decide to sell it.

Back