Mazda emblem on steering wheel shines way too bright

At first I thought Krylon Dulling Spray would be a good option. Then I touched my chandelier. That stuff comes off too easily for use on a steering wheel emblem. If you want to strip the chrome coating off the emblem you can use Easy-Off oven cleaner. It eats chrome coatings. Then spray with acrylic paint in any color you like.

Last edited:
The problem with magic marker is that if exposed to UV light it will develop a purple sheen over time. It also doesn't go on very evenly on slick chrome.

If you wrap it, or cover with one of those Ali Express things, I'd be concerned about how the airbag is supposed to split the cover? I might be overthinking this?

That looks like the perfect fix for this issue.

I’ve seen similar ones for the vents but not the steering wheel emblem. Hopefully they stay in securely. In case of a impact that deploys the airbags, the driver might end up being a permanent advertisement for Mazda.

Not sure what year you have but these look similar and come in different colors.
The oem insignia is plastic that is designed to seperate when the airbag deploys. Replacing the plastic piece with a metal one isasking for severe injuries if the airbag deploys.

I believe Click and Clack used to sell an item that worked for this. Also worked on pesky check engine lights too.

Does the modification have to be reversible, so as to not impact resale value?

How hard is it to remove and replace the badge? I'm wondering if you could buy a second one and go to town on it. Buff it lightly with 1000 grit (2400?) so as to remove the shine or whatever. Then if you don't like the effect... buy another and try something different.

Nope you're exacly right. Those metal insignias will turn into real nice high velocity fragments if the airbag deploys

Good info. I will focus on ways to mark/paint it and avoid overlays.

It was asked if I would ever sell the car. I like it and intend to keep it. So this just has to look good for me.

I have marked over it with a black sharpie just to try it out. It shows promise. As noted, the sharpie has a purple hint to it, so I might try and find a jet black marker or wipe it off and use model paint or such.

Thanks for the advice.

This emblem was our only complaint on our mazda5 lol, giant chrome piece in your face that reflects like no other....
I'm cheap though so in the summertime I just put a bit of masking tape on it.

The issue is of interest to me, because if you think it's bad in your sedan or SUV, it's a LOT worse in an MX-5 with the top down. Very disconcerting when zoom-zooming through the corners and getting radiated with a flash of sun just as you're aiming for the apex.

Back