Mazda CX-30 - Mobil 1 EP 0w20 - 5,200 miles

No makeup oil. Driven fairly hard. Several redlines a day. 50/50 city highway.

Al - 6
CR - 0
Fe - 15
Pb - 0
Tin - 0
Moly - 147 (residual from OE Fill)
Nickel - 0
Maganese - 0
Silver - 0
Titanium - 0
Potassium - 0
Boron - 79
Silicon - 20
Na - 5
Calcium - 1,230
Mg - 651
P - 618
Zn - 695
Barium - 3

Vis@40C - 53.7
Vis@100C - 8.38
Flashpoint - 405F
Fuel - < .5
Insolubles - .1
TBN - 4.6

Attachments

• 20 CX30-200801.pdf
    30.3 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
I bet you would have gotten just as good of results using a lesser priced synthetic....even ST....at that OCI.

buster, it looks like your new engine is breaking in quite nicely.
M1 EP 0W20 is a perfect fit, and still an exceptional value, in spite of the shorter OCI.

No makeup oil. Driven fairly hard. Several redlines a day. 50/50 city highway.

Al - 6
CR - 0
Fe - 15
Pb - 0
Tin - 0
Moly - 147 (residual from OE Fill)
Nickel - 0
Maganese - 0
Silver - 0
Titanium - 0
Potassium - 0
Boron - 79
Silicon - 20
Na - 5
Calcium - 1,230
Mg - 651
P - 618
Zn - 695
Barium - 3

Vis@40C - 53.7
Vis@100C - 8.38
Flashpoint - 405F
Fuel - < .5
Insolubles - .1
TBN - 4.6

Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0W-20 is very good stuff. I think it's their best oil in the Extended Performance lineup. Your report looks really good and you could probably eliminate fuel dilution almost completely if you filled her up with Premium gasoline. The only advice I can give you is don't switch to any other 0W-20 from the major motor oil producers, this is the best one.

If you don’t mind, give us a report on the car. Thinking about getting one myself.

For what it is (small crossover), it's great IMO. It's a lifted 3 basically. Interior has a premium feel that is best in class. It is small and I would say the CX-5 is the most ideal among the Mazda SUV/Crossover lineup. However, if you want something a bit smaller, the CX-30 is a good option. Power is adequate (may opt for turbo in a few years) and all you really need. The AT is great. Smooth and precise. The AWD system is very good too, although I've only tested it in the rain.

If you don't need crazy amounts of power and space, the CX-30 is a really nice affordable option. The car feels more expensive than it is due to the interior quality. The Japanese do a nice job within that $25k-$40k price range of SUVs.

I've been able to hit 33 mpg driving conservatively on the highway at about 75-80 mph.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0W-20 is very good stuff. I think it's their best oil in the Extended Performance lineup. Your report looks really good and you could probably eliminate fuel dilution almost completely if you filled her up with Premium gasoline. The only advice I can give you is don't switch to any other 0W-20 from the major motor oil producers, this is the best one.

It's definitely one of the better 0w20s that's for sure.

I have been a long time Mazda fan and I owned three Mazda 6 and two Mazda 3 vehicles in the past 15 years. I am also considering swapping the 2018 Santa Fe Sport for a Mazda CX5. There is a lot to love about Mazda, especially when it comes to reliability, design, eye candy, and interior build quality.

I also like how "subtle," Mazda tells owners, in the US version of the owners manual no less, that they can in fact run 5W-30 safely. Hilariously and funnily enough, there is an API logo towards the right bottom of the page, under "Except U.S.A., CANADA". Well, the American Petroleum Insitute doesn't really exist outside of America. If I owned one of these, I would definitively run Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 or Castrol EDGE EP 5W-30 in it. Nothing against Mobil 1 EP 0W-20, it's an excellent oil, but in a warmer climate going a hair thicker doesn't hurt anything. This also throws out all that nonsense that 0W-20 needs to be run because of super tight tolerances. An oil that is 9 or 10 cSt @ 100C as opposed to 8 won't hurt anything, but rather offer a little bit more protection. Though I have to say, looking at UOAs for SkyActiv engines, they are of pretty solid build quality. And they get awesome gas mileage.

Just look at the page below:

cx30_om_page1.jpg

So, if you live in Chula Vista, CA, Laredo, TX, or El Paso, TX, to give a few examples, and you own a Mazda then you have to use 0W-20, but if you live in Tijuana, MX, then you have to use 5W-30? It's kind of ridiculous. Of course, in a dusty hot environment, it's prudent to use a thicker oil, probably even slightly beyond 5W-30, maybe 0W-40.

cx30_om_page2.jpg

I agree with you on Mazda. This is my 4th one.

I noticed that too. You can run a 5w30 and probably higher with no problem other than a hit in fuel economy. What you find though with some of the 30 grades is they end up dropping a grade due to more VII's and fuel dilution. The 0w20's are pretty stable and likely use less VIIs. Of course it's not that simple as some VII's, like in Mobil 1, are of higher quality so the engine remains clean regardless.

EDGE EP 5w30 is more shear stable than Mobil 1 EP. Both probably have a HT/HS of around 3.0-3.1.

I agree with you on Mazda. This is my 4th one.

I noticed that too. You can run a 5w30 and probably higher with no problem other than a hit in fuel economy. What you find though with some of the 30 grades is they end up dropping a grade due to more VII's and fuel dilution. The 0w20's are pretty stable and likely use less VIIs. Of course it's not that simple as some VII's, like in Mobil 1, are of higher quality so the engine remains clean regardless.

EDGE EP 5w30 is more shear stable than Mobil 1 EP. Both probably have a HT/HS of around 3.0-3.1.

I believe that many of these 5W-30 API SN Plus / API SP ILSAC oils are made so they shear down for fuel economy purposes. I know, it's completely crazy, but it is what it is. I'm curious how shear-stable something like Rotella Gas Truck 5W-30 is. That one might be worth considering.

Running 0w20 in my Skyactiv and it is super smooth and quiet.

Recently I drove a day trip with temperatures in the mid 90’s. I took the opportunity to set the info screen to show the engine temperature. It never budged. This was going over mountain passes to boot.

I think the fear of running the lighter grades in hot climates is a bit overblown.

I think the fear of running the lighter grades in hot climates is a bit overblown.

I'm speaking only for myself, so this is just my opinion: cars are expensive, so I'm trying to do my best to protect them. We're a couple of years away from paying off our vehicles, so I'd love to go for without a car payment. The money would go to the kids and a college fund for them. That being said, I do appreciate your opinion, and you do have a valid point. The thing is that other than the engineers who designed and tested those engines, no one has any hard data as to how well each oil viscosity protects the internals.

Back