Mazda-Castrol partnership? Using HDEO in a Turbo Gasoline Engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welp, I have a newer family hauler. A 2018 Mazda CX-9.
Bought with 2 miles on the clock after some uninsured jackwagon hit the 200K mile Mazda MPV.

So far, I've been getting synthetic oil changes at a 5k OCI at the dealership.
I've known people who've had warranties dropped for having Independent Shops do oil changes or DIY oil changes.
I'll take over the oil changes when the warranty is up.

Owner's manual recommends Mazda OEM oil or Castrol.

I know Mazda themselves isn't drilling for oil. So are they purchasing from Castrol for their Factory Fills and OEM oil?

I keep Shell Rotella T6 5w40 Synthetic around for my motorcycle. I use it because it's NOT an "Energy Conserving" oil with the friction modifier pack for the wet clutch.
I also think the Rotella is better at high temps; the motorcycle has a rather small cooling system.

Would using this oil in my CX-9 (2.5L I4 Turbo) be detrimental?

Idemitsu is the factory fill in your Japanese sourced Mazda. Castrol just paid Mazda to get their name in the owners manual. The reality is the dealerships will use whatever oil they can get at a good contract price that meets the specs.

So, you can run any major brand of 5w30 that is SN+ and d1G2 certified. I have been doing my own oil changes on my Mazda since the beginning. I keep good records of such.

its a mazda,reliable car,keep it simple and go with what the manual states.just use a good syn oil and follow the intervals thats it.u wont feel any difference.i have the17 cx5 and use the castrol magnstec stop startA5.good enough believe me.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Idemitsu is the factory fill in your Japanese sourced Mazda. Castrol just paid Mazda to get their name in the owners manual. The reality is the dealerships will use whatever oil they can get at a good contract price that meets the specs.

So, you can run any major brand of 5w30 that is SN+ and d1G2 certified. I have been doing my own oil changes on my Mazda since the beginning. I keep good records of such.

Just out of curiosity, does the CX9 and/or CX5 specify 5w/30? In my 2018 Mazda3, the manual does not specify a certification (SN or SM etc) but says 0w/20 in USA, Canada and Puerto Rico. It makes no mention of SN+ or d1G2. Now, in Mexico SM (yes, you read that right, SM) 5w/30 is ok with 5w/20 as a final alternative.

So (LOL) this begs the question, what if I drive my car between the US and Mexico? Man, I'll need an OC at the border to keep from voiding the Warranty
lol.gif

Anyhow, I do my own oil service and keep a spread-sheet and do an occasional oil analysis. All the information is stored. Having receipts from a lube shop is meaningless really... you have no idea what oil they are using. Also, the user manual clearly states that any oil "Equivalent" to the recommended brand can be used.

Any dealer can pull a valve cover and immediately tell if oil changes were done regularly or not. I personally don't take that bit of extortion about not having receipts for oil changes. That statement is there to sell service to the shop.

Ray

The turbo SkyActiv specs for 5w30. Otherwise its 0w20. Then again you can run whatever you choose. I do agree that if you go with 5w30 in the naturally aspirated engine it won't hurt it.

I run 0w20 and it's butter smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back