Mazda 6 vs. Honda Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Driving down the road yesterday ahead of me in one lane was a Mazad 6 and in the other lane a Honda Accord. Both very nice looking, about the same size and I imagine in the same vehicle class. Thinking about getting the wife a new car in the next year or so and I thought that she would love either one. Which one is better and why?

I'm not trying to make trouble or cause any arguments, just thought it would be an interesting discussion/comparison. Looking for facts about engines/transmissions(automatic only), fun factor, reliability, cost of ownership, your opinion/personal experiences. Thanks

Both are pretty close in all the areas you describe...

Personally, I would choose the Accord, based on the spectacular 2.4L engine...bulletproof reliability and great on gas...also the Accord seems to still win every family sedan comparo even though it's an aging platform...the interior is much nicer than the Mazda, too IMO...very ergonomic and clean looking...

I bought a mazda6i so I am biased. My biggest selling point was the looks and the fact you can walk out the door with one for under $16,500. The mazda6 is definitely more fun to drive and has a better feel for the road if you are a driver. It also has better brakes if safety is important.

The accord will get better gas mileage and has a higher resale value. Quality may be marginally better with the honda, even though Mazda has been showing really well in trips-to-the-shop studies.

You really need to have her test drive both and see which she prefers.

Oh I should add that if I were in this market, I would seriously look at the new Nissan Altima with the CVT transmission too...

It would boil down to Altima vs. Accord for me...

I think the 6 is a tad bit smaller.....,

And the 6 has a tighter suspension......, maybe a sportier drive.

Quote:

Both are pretty close in all the areas you describe...

Personally, I would choose the Accord, based on the spectacular 2.4L engine...bulletproof reliability and great on gas...also the Accord seems to still win every family sedan comparo even though it's an aging platform...the interior is much nicer than the Mazda, too IMO...very ergonomic and clean looking...

accords are far from bulletproof http://www.lemonauto.com/complaints/honda/honda_accord.htm

My best advise is going to be test drive. IMO the 6 handles better but the accord is better for crusing down the road. I prefer the ergonomics of the accord as well for long trips. Both handle better than a camry IMO.

If i was buyinbg a V6 id go with the Mazda. If i was buying a 4 cyl, i'd go with the accord.

I drive a Mazda 626-ESV6 and love it. I've driven a few new V6-6's as loaner cars from the mazda dealer and my only complaint is the severe tendency to drive 100 MPH everywhere i go.

I'm on my second Mazda product and so far i've not been dissapointed. I owned a 1981 accord way back in the day, and likewise that was a very tough and reliable car as well.

I think: of the 2, the mazda 6 looks a lot better than the accord 4 dr, and will be more exciting to drive.
if you think of the accord v-6 coupe, it's a close fight. I still like mazda front a lot better, but accord coupe v6 does look nice, but that's because it is 2 dr, sportier looking car. has very thin (not wide enough) tires for its size, though, from what i've seen.

the 4 dr accord looks boring; Mazda 6 wins clearly there.

If you're leaning at all towards the Accord, wait a year for the 4-door brother of this car to arrive....you'll be glad you waited.

2008Accord1.jpg

I haven't driven the Mazda6 so can't comment, but I've got an 07 Accord V6 and love it. I actually look forward to my 1 hr commute every day. It is, without question, the silky smoothest AT and V6 hookup this driver has ever driven. And it is quite athletic to boot.

97Tbird, as for looks, that is completely subjective. Beauty is without question in the eye of the beholder. Case in point: I do NOT like the way the Accord Coupe looks, but I love the way the sedan looks. It just depends on who's looking.

badtlc, "bulletproof" is a relative term. Sure there are going to be issues with any car, even the Accord, but over time and relative to other cars, the Accord has *proven* to be superior in terms of overall reliability.

I'm not in any way discounting the Mazda6...it's getting mostly rave reviews. And like drewjp said, I'd love to try out the new Altima 3.5.

They are in 2 different segments.
Drive 'em both. Pick the one that you like.

Since you're buying 'in the next year or so', wait until then. Vehicles get refreshes and updates. You might find something else that looks good.

The owners of Mazda 6's that I know are extremely happy. These are very reliable vehicles. Mazda seems to be cattering more to the younger enthusiastic driver. The 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, & Miata are all excellent for their class. The rebates and dealer discounts put them in a budget where only smaller Toyotas, Hondas, or Nissans would fit.

Buy the Accord if you want a new shiny toaster in your driveway. Sorry, but none have ever wowed me in looks. And, every Accord owner that I know is older. I also don't know any Accord owners that can talk badly about their car. That alone speaks quality and reliability.

Don't rule out the domestics or the other Asian vehicles. I'm seeing that new Sonata everywhere and the Mazda6 clones from Fordmercury are worth looking into. I was actually surprised as I walked passed a new Pontiac which looked pretty good too.

both cars are great and neither would be a wrong decision. the difference I find is the accord overall is a bit vanilla and mazda tries to add a little spice to their cars.

If I were looking for a car in that class it would be a "6"

Accord= solid car, but getting redesign this coming fall as 08 model.

6= dated, has ancient Ford 4-speed transmission (4-cyl) and resale is worse.

Word of advice? Wait until this fall when the new 08 Accord arrives.

Quote:

Accord= solid car, but getting redesign this coming fall as 08 model.

6= dated, has ancient Ford 4-speed transmission (4-cyl) and resale is worse.

Word of advice? Wait until this fall when the new 08 Accord arrives.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Mazda6s: 3.0L V6 has a 6spd ATX, not made by ford.
Mazda6i: 2.3L 4cyl has a 5spd ATX made by Mazda, not ford.

Both transmissions have been great upgrades.

I vote for the Mazda 6. I did a a comparison of vehicles for the 2006 model year last year. It boiled down to the Mazda 6 for several reasons: better looks, better content for the price you pay, better standard equipment. The real kicker was when I went to the auto forums for the owners of these cars and seen what they had to say. The Mazda owners are a far happier crowd and the ones who owned Hondas previosely to buying their Mazda said they would never go back to Honda. That says a lot to me.

I liked both cars on the test drive 3 years ago, and Mazda and Honda are two names I have confidence in. I'd have to drive them at least once more to determine which I prefer.

Maybe there was something wrong with the Mazda6 V6 5spd that I drove, cuz it felt light and tippy-toed. But I do like the wagon and hatch options, and a wagon will definitely be my next car. Hello, Honda? TSX Wagon diesel, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back