Mazda 3 splash guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it necessary that I keep it on? I was thinking of removing it for good, or cutting the plastic a bit so I can access the filter better and not have to remove it all. Thoughts?

I have the same guard on the wife's 5. It appears to be part of the undertray for areo is my only thought. It could make .000001 difference in the cars areo. I've removed them from other cars but they where smaller to begin with.

Originally Posted By: buster
Is it necessary that I keep it on? I was thinking of removing it for good, or cutting the plastic a bit so I can access the filter better and not have to remove it all. Thoughts?

Get a remote filter mounting kit. They aren't too expensive and then you can mount the filter up top where it is easy to get to.
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks. Not a bad idea. I'm having a difficult time getting it off because the front bolts are not coming off. So I have to get up underneath it with a wrench to hold the top bolts in place while I unsrew the bottom bolts with the socket wrench. Royal pain.

My mom's Kia is a PITA like that. I ended up cutting the splash guard and put a stainless steel hinge on it so I can just take off the one bolt and that part of the splash gard hangs down. The splash guard jutted out from the main piece to protect the oil filter from road debris so this was a viable option to cut it and put in a hinge and much cheaper that a filter kit.

it would've been nice if they put that cutout under the filter. there is actually a TSB about it where Mazda states it is an inspection port and not a filter cutout.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
it would've been nice if they put that cutout under the filter. there is actually a TSB about it where Mazda states it is an inspection port and not a filter cutout.

Yeah really. What a DUMB set up.

A lot of people on the Mazda sites took a Dremel to the guard so they could reach the filter without removing the shield.

Personally I'd leave it on to keep the crud out of the belts and pulleys and keep your engine clean.

Same here :) I will cut a hole ...

How do you install remote filter ? I guess it does slow down flow a loot ?

Is it safe to run ? it ?

Originally Posted By: Ndx
Same here :) I will cut a hole ...

How do you install remote filter ? I guess it does slow down flow a loot ?

Is it safe to run ? it ?

If you get a kit that is designed for your vehicle there is nothing to worry about. Amsoil carries well built kits and all the hardware you need.

There is a spin on adapter that spins on to where your current oil filter goes, and then has 2 ports for hoses (inlet/outlet) to carry the oil via high pressure hose over to the filter adapter that takes your screw-on filter.

Thx Stevie,

I was just googling I don't think that anyone makes a kit for Mazda 3

its hard to have a spin on adapter for a cartridge filter
wink.gif

im so glad that on my volvo they didn't put one on. the R cars didn't get one due to excessive underhood temps.

wink.gif

it's not an adapter: it's a replacement assembly. You unbolt the cartridge assembly and replace it with the spin-on assembly from a different model (the 2.0 litre engine, if I recall).

Originally Posted By: Greg K
wink.gif

it's not an adapter: it's a replacement assembly. You unbolt the cartridge assembly and replace it with the spin-on assembly from a different model (the 2.0 litre engine, if I recall).

well ya i know about that one, warranty coverage with that installed on a 2.3 is iffy, besides you cant use that assembly on the turbo motors.

Leave the under cover on. It not only protects against sticks and road stones but, is supposed to be part of the engine bay cooling and aerodynamics. The undercover has a job to do and is designed as such.

I'm going to put it back on.

I couldn't get the filter off though.

The undercover is useful (although a PITA to remove every oil change), after 3 winters of salt and grime the oil pan and engine underside are nice and clean, also I think it protects from rocks and other debree.

This year I finally had enough of removing the shield and extended the existing "inspection" hole (someone in design at Mazda must've had a grudge agains Jiffy Lubes
06.gif
), now the oil changes are a snap.

BTW, I used metal shears to cut the hole, no need for the dremel or power tools, shears leave a nice clean cut.

Last edited:
Thanks Kris. I will be doing the same. I feel that is best option. Once it goes back on, it's not coming off again. Very poorly thought out.

The splash guard runs $160. I had to replace it last year when my wife ran over a deer.

Cut the splash guard and made the hole bigger. Shouldn't have to remove it anymore. I could not get the filter off however, even when using a oil socket. I picked up a 74mm-76mm and it still slipped when trying to loosen it.

I may have order the $22 one from Mazda. This car has some very annoying things about it.

http://mazdagear.com/23lcartridgeengineoilfilterwrench.aspx

Doesn't look much different than the one I bought today.
21.gif

I noticed they all give a range, and not specific measurements such as 74mm-77mm. My filter takes a 75.6mm.

I've found that if you insert a sheet of paper towel (just lay it across the open face of the wrench and push the cup onto the filter), it takes up the 'slack' and you can get the filter off. If you've already rounded off all the flutes on the filter, prepare for a fight...or take the shield off one last time and use a strap wrench.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back