Mazda 3 splash guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried that and it didn't work. So either the place I took it too previously rounded off all the flutes (thanks did not know that is what they are called)or it's a common problem with this filter case. I read on another forum about this problem.

Can you take some pics of it (oil filter case)? I have a oil filter cap wrench from Autozone (I think) and it works fine. It says Oil Filter "B" Cap Wrench.

Last edited:
IMG_3126.jpg

IMG_3131.jpg

IMG_3129.jpg

Be careful not to over-torque this piece. It has the Newton-meter torque stamped right on it. I think it comes out to around 265 inch-pounds. I bought a Craftsman inch-pound torque wrench just for this. Overtorqued leads to cracks, which leads to a catastrophic leak and fried bearings. There's a few poor souls on the Mazda forums that experienced this.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

BTW, I used metal shears to cut the hole, no need for the dremel or power tools, shears leave a nice clean cut.

Yep - got the idea here when I ask a while back - to use tin snippers.

Originally Posted By: buster
Cut the splash guard and made the hole bigger. Shouldn't have to remove it anymore. I could not get the filter off however, even when using a oil socket. I picked up a 74mm-76mm and it still slipped when trying to loosen it.

I may have order the $22 one from Mazda. This car has some very annoying things about it.

http://mazdagear.com/23lcartridgeengineoilfilterwrench.aspx

If u haven't order here it is FREE with a 10 pack cartridge purchase -
10 pack - free OE filter wrench

Originally Posted By: ViragoBry
Be careful not to over-torque this piece. It has the Newton-meter torque stamped right on it. I think it comes out to around 265 inch-pounds. I bought a Craftsman inch-pound torque wrench just for this. Overtorqued leads to cracks, which leads to a catastrophic leak and fried bearings. There's a few poor souls on the Mazda forums that experienced this.

I would go as far as to say just tighten it by hand.
Of course - I use a Craftsman tq wrench also. :0

Originally Posted By: ViragoBry

Yep, the housing is 265 inch-pounds or 22 foot-pounds. The aluminum drain bolt on the housing is 88.5 inch-pounds or 7.4 foot-pounds.

Cut the splash guard and made the hole bigger. Shouldn't have to remove it anymore. I could not get the filter off however, even when using a oil socket. I picked up a 74mm-76mm and it still slipped when trying to loosen it.

I may have order the $22 one from Mazda. This car has some very annoying things about it.

Five years ago, I looked all over town for one that would fit. I found a plastic one that seemed to fit right, but it slipped. I went to the Mazda dealer and bought a non-Mazda one from them that they said would work, but it slipped too so I returned it. They didn't carry the actual Mazda one. My cap does not look rounded or damaged at all, so I don't think that's the problem. I eventually gave up and I've been using a band wrench covered in hockey tape for the last five years.

I'd go for the buy 10 filters get a free filter wrench deal, but they use UPS and UPS has hosed me a couple times while bringing things across the border, so that's out.

I just bought a Mazda 3 and I didn't even think that anybody used a cartridge filter anymore. I would wonder what their thinking was in doing so. Since it will be under warranty for a while I might not bother with doing this one myself for a while.

I have a feeling that the splash guard hole was cut out in the wrong spot, and they let it go. The only reason that hole should be there is for the filter. Doesn't make sense.

I don't have much faith that wrench I bought will work. I kept the receipt.

I have a feeling that the splash guard hole was cut out in the wrong spot, and they let it go. The only reason that hole should be there is for the filter. Doesn't make sense.

I don't have much faith that wrench I bought will work. I kept the receipt.

According to their TSB, the hole is there for checking filter installation on the production line.

I read that before. Just seems a bit ridiculous they would have you remove the splash guard every time you change the oil.

Why is it ridiculous? It's not a screw up. I work in manufacturing and inspection points are important in a production line. I change oil on a 2008 mazda 3 and it only takes an extra 5 minutes to take it off and reinstall. Many vehicles have these splash guards/ air dams installed. It seems to keep salt out of the undercarriage surfaces in the winter. I prefer one installed in all my vehicles!!

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
That housing looks fine, I think your filter wrench cap is just too big. I would recommend going to Autozone and getting this: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog...questid=1917857
This is what I use and it fits quite snug on the housing.

Thanks again. The only one that worked. Worked very well actually. No play at all.

Originally Posted By: NortheastPest
Why is it ridiculous? It's not a screw up. I work in manufacturing and inspection points are important in a production line. I change oil on a 2008 mazda 3 and it only takes an extra 5 minutes to take it off and reinstall. Many vehicles have these splash guards/ air dams installed. It seems to keep salt out of the undercarriage surfaces in the winter. I prefer one installed in all my vehicles!!

Because they should have cut a hole out right under the filter. More wear and tear of on those cheap plastic bolts and the others become rusted with use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back