Mazda 3 2014 Skyactive Manual Tranny

Surprisingly, I didn't see this covered in search despite how common this car is. The service manual doesn't give an interval for changing the manual transmission oil. But it does show how to do it, and specifies the oil: GL-4, 75w80.
I figure 50,000 miles would be a good time to do it. That sound about right?
Also, what oils do you recommend (and why?)

Me, I'd use the OEM oil, Mazda branded fluid, right from the dealer. It's not like there is much in there... Something less than 2 litres' worth. I said it before, i.e. that shift feel from cold is not necessarily the correct indicator to key-in to for determining if the manual transmission lubricant is best for transmission longevity. Some boxes need to be nursed to temp. And in the case of the Mazda Skyactiv-MT, don't vary from the SAE wt or GL-4... as the shafting delivers oil to the speed-gears...and different viscosities muck with this.

75w80 GL4 Gear oil won't be found in AZ, AA, WM etc....Ravenol makes one that you can buy on Amazon....the Red Line gear oil mentioned is also very good. 50K is about right.

I do mine around 50K too.
I would use this: [... Redline MTL 75W80 ...]
Thanks. This is available at my local auto parts store and on Amazon in a 2 quart pack.
Even 20 years ago when I was active in SCCA, this (Redline) is what people were using. Plus ca change...

My take for 75W-80 GL-4:

Castrol Syntrans V-FE (= Transmax Manual V now)
Ravenol MTF-2
Redline MTL
OE Mazda

I have been and still am using both Castrol Syntrans V-FE (in my GTI) and Ravenol MTF-2 (in my Mini)
with excellent results. Other owners seem to report similar experiences, I never heard anyone suffering
from poor shifting with these, even when cold. To me shift quality both cold and hot is at least as good
as with the corresponding OE fills VW 052 527 (GTI) and BMW MTF LT-4 (Mini) respectively.

I did the job today, at 41,876 miles. The old oil came out dark brownish. The new oil is Redline MTL 75w80 GL-4, pinkish and fragrant. The job isn't difficult, but you need a BIG 23mm socket for the bolts. A 15/16" works in a pinch, since they are tight but not ultra-tight (about 40 ft.lbs.). It was level yet still took 2 full quarts before the fluid came up to the fill hole. The manual says 1.8 quarts. I can't tell any difference driving it, but this car has always had a superb manual with excellent shifting action, quick, smooth and positive.

Back