Maybe Walmart isn't so bad after all...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This just in on our shelves... wasn't there two days ago. I picked up two jugs of the 0W-40 for less than $50
smile.gif

Nice, I just picked up some in 5W-20 a few weeks ago up here in the northeast. I was quite pleased with the price, thought it was reasonable. Also to add I just received my rebate for $12.00 in the mail.
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Man, if that only met LL-01....

Depends on if our new ULSG makes a difference on TBN retention.

Need to know NOACK on these!

Not a bad price, but I think Mobil 1 0w40 which is $25.47 at Walmart is still a better deal right now with their $12 rebate.

So does the board think this 0W-40 would be OK in a 2000 7.3 PSD? Maybe with MicroGreen 500-1 filters and UOAs every 10k - filling filter with fresh oil to keep TBN up?

Or is it safer to stick with T6 (or M1 TDT), FL-1995s, and 5k UOAs?

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
So does the board think this 0W-40 would be OK in a 2000 7.3 PSD? Maybe with MicroGreen 500-1 filters and UOAs every 10k - filling filter with fresh oil to keep TBN up?

Absolutely not! The 0W-40 is NOT diesel rated oil. Stick with T6 or M1 TDT for sure.

Originally Posted By: adamrc

Absolutely not! The 0W-40 is NOT diesel rated oil. Stick with T6 or M1 TDT for sure.

Sheesh yes. Use an oil rated for the engine.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Sheesh yes. Use an oil rated for the engine.
Yes, I add. You need to use a diesel rated oil like T6 or M1 TDT you said. Now, T6 does have a 0w40, so in that instance, yes you could use that one, but diesel rated oil is really important.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cwatkin
I went to http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/full-synthetic-motor-oils/pennzoil-platinum-euro.html and read the specs. It says it is for "light duty diesel" applications. I don't know what this means but assume it should work in any vehicle that isn't a heavy truck. I don't know but if it is too thin for what is specified in the manual then don't use it.

In this case it's not about viscosity, it's about ratings. Know what your vehicle/engine requires and buy an oil that actually carries the proper rating.

Actually, it probably would work, but may not be exactly ideal. This is an A3/B4 oil, and we know what the B4 means, not to mention there is probably a CF somewhere on the bottle, which isn't completely out of line with this generation of engine. TBN is above CJ-4 minimums, significantly, not to mention the minimums required by E7 and E9. HTHS is sufficient. SA is above an ordinary E7, E9 CJ-4 or CK-4 oil, which isn't problematic with no DPF in the first place.

Maybe this is Ford's answer. They're scared of CK-4 oils. Maybe they can start down the A3/B4 road.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Actually, it probably would work, but may not be exactly ideal. This is an A3/B4 oil, and we know what the B4 means, not to mention there is probably a CF somewhere on the bottle, which isn't completely out of line with this generation of engine. TBN is above CJ-4 minimums, significantly, not to mention the minimums required by E7 and E9. HTHS is sufficient. SA is above an ordinary E7, E9 CJ-4 or CK-4 oil, which isn't problematic with no DPF in the first place.

Maybe this is Ford's answer. They're scared of CK-4 oils. Maybe they can start down the A3/B4 road.
whistle.gif

I've only grazed those long threads you're referring to, but isn't the oil supposed to meet WSS-M2C171-F1 no matter what?

Yes, that standard if CK-4, but if they're CJ-4, all is magically okay and not needing the Ford spec, despite the existence of CJ-4 oils that are also low phosphorus E6 and carrying WSS-M2C171-E.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back