Maybe this is why GM cut the dealers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love it!! They should let you pick your new ride up at the plant and skip the destination charge.

Great! One more middle man cut out of the equation
thumbsup2.gif
..and looking for a job
frown.gif

I know many years ago my aunt and uncle did pick up their new Buick at the factory and drove it back. Don't have a clue if they would still do it now though.

My father did. That was back in (probably) 1939+/- He paid for it at the local dealer, iirc.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Great idea, until you need service-then what???

You go to a dealer. They aren't giving service away and need your money more than ever.

I bought my Corvette new out of state and have had no problems with local service.

Would that state just happen to be Oregon, one that doesn't have a sales tax?
grin2.gif
I know if I buy a new Vette, that's where I'm going. Two year registration and licence for next to nothing, followed by a family transfer to avoid the bogus "use" taxes charged by the state.

The quality of service depends on the dealer, and how busy they are. Where you bought the car from may matter in small towns, but usually won't in the larger burgs where they compete for the repair business.

No matter what anybody tells you, dealers make bank on service and repairs, whether it's warranty work or not. It's in their best interest to keep any customer who pays their shop rates happy.

Volvo has being doing that as long as I can remember. You fly over the Sweden and pick up your car at the factory. You spend your vacation driving your new Volvo around Europe and when It is time to head home Volvo arranges for the car to shipped to the closest dealer to your home.
Overseas Delivery Program

When I bought my 1997 960 back in 2005 I found out it was a European Delivery Vehicle. It was purchased by a Air Force Colonel that drove it for about a year and a half in Europe before shipping it back to Texas when he was transferred back to the states.

That was the deal with Porsche 930s back in the day.

It was cheaper for an Aussie to pick it up at the factory, drive Europe for 3 months and ship it here than to pay the local tarrifs and taxes at the time.

I think BMW do it with motorbikes also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back