Maybe GM's finacial situation will improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guys at work were looking at the 7% yield.

I like risks as much as the next fat person but GM stock.....I dunno.

At least the unions will have ammunition against management for the next 2-3 years. The company needs a real leader - before we see real improvment.

World car sales about 60 million a year? Plant capacity currently 80 million a year?

I don't count on GM to be on the bright side of this.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
The guys at work were looking at the 7% yield.

How can GM sustain a 7% yield. I think it will re-normalize...

... though I bought MRK near rock bottom because the div was so high. Then again, I bought because I felt that $26 had all the lawsuit bad news already built in... GM has who knows how much bad news left? Of course GM could turn into a KMART or chrysler story... whereas MRK is just on bad times for the obvious reasons.

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
... The company needs a real leader - before we see real improvment.

Dont hold your breath. That company has had no real leadership for forty years. 1965 was the peak of Chevy unit volume. Those were the John Delorean days.

It takes firing the top 200 people in a large company to change the "culture". What are the chances of that happening, a snowball in heck?

quote:

Dont hold your breath. That company has had no real leadership for forty years. 1965 was the peak of Chevy unit volume. Those were the John Delorean days.

It takes firing the top 200 people in a large company to change the "culture". What are the chances of that happening, a snowball in heck?

That happen in a "high tech" industry every downturn. Typically every 3 years. Auto is the most lazy industry (other than government) I have ever seen and that's why we didn't see it.

Many company like Intel and Cisco have a policy of mandatory firing of the bottom 5% to 10% performer of their workforce every year, and replace them with the best they can afford. We would need something like that in the auto industry to get the ball rolling (let's start from the top too).

"Dont hold your breath. That company has had no real leadership for forty years. 1965 was the peak of Chevy unit volume. Those were the John Delorean days.

GM in the 60s: It's easy to appear to be great when you have no competition. The you start to believe that you really are pretty smart. Surround yourself with syncopants who reinforce your fantasy. Ah, good times.

Then these funny little cars start showing up from far away lands.....AND an external factor like a 70s oil crisis; and your market has changed and you were too fat, dumb and happy to see it coming. And now you are too big to be able to react.

And guess who has been sitting (fat, dumb and happy) on large v8 vehicle sales? (not the funny little cars coming from far away lands)....

stay turned for verse 2, the fat lady is warming up.

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
They might keep some customer base if they could build an engine that will hold coolent for more than 50,000 miles.

At 65K, I still haven't had the cap off the tank on my 02 Chevy, or made any other repairs to it.

quote:

Originally posted by labman:

quote:

They might keep some customer base if they could build an engine that will hold coolent for more than 50,000 miles.

At 65K, I still haven't had the cap off the tank on my 02 Chevy, or made any other repairs to it.

Great. We've had 4 and all 4 were leakers. Never buy one again ever.

quote:

So far the Ecotec 4 banger is a solid design from what I've seen.

No problems with my 2002 OHV 2200 engine either. Gets 38 mpg on a trip to the mountains too. GM quality is as good if not better than ANY import at a comparable price, plus parts are cheaper and more available. As far as the coolant leak is concerned, you'll spend as much if not more on an Asian timing belt replacement every 60,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back