May go to Amsoil SS 5W30 from Mobil 1 5W30...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple days ago, I decided to change my oil again as the oil looked pretty dark on the dipstick. I have 5,200 miles on the engine and I went to Mobil 1 5W30 and an Amsoil EA15K51 oil filter from the factory fill AC Delco Synthetic blend and factory AC Delco PF48 oil filter at 1,754 miles. At 1,754 miles, the factory fill was tar black, so I felt good getting everything out early. The car felt better with Mobil 1 right after I changed it from the factory fill. Felt like it was protecting better from friction inside the engine, but that feeling wore off rather quickly.

After 3,500 miles of driving, the oil was blacker than tar. I mean, BLACK! I don't see how that oil can go up to 10K miles. I know the engine is currently it's in early stages of the break-in process and I drive the car pretty hard, but I was surprised at how dark it was upon draining it.

After the oil change two days ago, I started driving the car home and noticed how much smoother the engine ran with the fresh oil. It felt as if there was more of a "cushion" between the moving parts if that makes any sense. Before changing the oil, the car ran ok, but the engine had the feeling that the moving parts inside weren't being protected as well from the friction between all the moving parts. This made me feel as if maybe Mobil 1 isn't such a great oil for my engine.

I ordered up a case of Amsoil Signature Series 5W30 and will change to that oil as soon as I can. There are CTS-V owners on the forums with manual transmissions that went to the Amsoil SS 5W30 oil and reported back impressive results of how much better the engine felt during shifts and how the engine felt with the added protection against friction and the Amsoil kept protecting for thousands of miles.

It's a matter of time before the Mobil 1 I just put in starts to make the engine feel a bit rough again. Maybe I am just really sensitive when it comes to how engines feel and run. Maybe my engine is just hard on oil as hard as I run it and maybe it needs 3,000 OCIs. I haven't done a UOA as of yet as the engine is still new. I plan on doing it starting at around 10K miles.

Any wise words?

it's all psychosomatic, doc

Modern oils are amazing in their ability to hold byproducts in suspended state, and the blackness of modern factory fills has been discussed before.

Oil colour means very little. You'll need to have the oil analyzed to actually find out its condition and suitability for continued use.

Pour in What Ever Makes U Feel Warm and Fuzzy Inside!

Some owners get that Feeling with a $35 oil change.
Some owners have to spend $70 to get that Feeling.

Do what ya have to do! It's kinda like a Drug!!

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
Pour in What Ever Makes U Feel Warm and Fuzzy Inside!

Some owners get that Feeling with a $35 oil change.
Some owners have to spend $70 to get that Feeling.

Do what ya have to do! It's kinda like a Drug!!

thumbsup2.gif

Thanks guys! This forum re-enforces my decisions!! I know I can't go wrong with Amsoil signature series for the best peace of mind.

I will change the oil out ASAP and see what happens!

This really is like a "drug" and you guys are all "drug pushers". LOL!!

Last edited:
It's a myth that oil color can be used to determine service suitability. Color has very little impact on it. My father believe that color would tell you the state of the oil, he told me this years and years ago... it's false.

Originally Posted By: Ram01
Try mobil 1 EP 5w30 with a ac delco ultra gold upf48r that will be cheaper and you will have cleaner oil

I am running a much better filter now than the UPR48R (Fram Ultra) and the Amsoil SS series outperformed Mobil 1 EP at every test. By the way, the UPF48R and the regular classic PF48 oil filter have the exact same internals. The UPF48R doesn't have synthetic media and it can just withstand higher pressure than the PF48. This has even been stated by GM and AC Delco.

Oil color without a UOA? Means nothing. No reason to overpay for something that isn't measurably better for a car you're not going to keep until the wheels fall off. Who do you think spends more money on research and development? Amsoil or ExxonMobil? The Mobil 1 5w30 is more than adequate but if you want to throw your money around try Redline oils.

I would just go with Amsoil SS and change every 3K just think how good you would sleep at night.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
It's a myth that oil color can be used to determine service suitability. Color has very little impact on it. My father believe that color would tell you the state of the oil, he told me this years and years ago... it's false.

While I do agree that oil color doesn't say much, it is super black early on in the interval and the engine felt much better with the fresh oil.

I also noticed that the oil on the dipstick was a very light gold while pouring Mobil 1 in and after 50 miles of driving, the oil already got darker. Most likely from cleaning out the old Mobil 1 that was drained out.

Getting that black, that quick, is just wrong.

Even your short FF was black.

I'd get some diagnostics done, and/or ask the dealer techs to see if they're all that way or not...

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE

and the Amsoil SS series outperformed Mobil 1 EP at every test.

I'm a fan of Amsoil lubricants but what tests? M1 EP is formally certified for a number of manufacturer approvals that require extensive testing using approved and sanctioned procedures for measuring actual lubricant performance. This particular AMSOIL product has none of those.

The 4-ball wear test is a procedure designed and utilized in the industry for EP oils (gear oils for example) and is not an engine oil test.

Originally Posted By: dave123
I would just go with Amsoil SS and change every 3K just think how good you would sleep at night.

I did order 12 quarts of the SS Oil, so I am on my way! I would most likely change it every 7,500 miles

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Amsoil SS is not API approved; a consideration if you are under warranty. That being said I ran 0W-20 SS while under warranty in my B2300.

From what I read, Amsoil is API certified but not Dexos 1 approved. I doubt I will have any issues with a better oil like Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

and the Amsoil SS series outperformed Mobil 1 EP at every test.

I'm a fan of Amsoil lubricants but what tests? M1 EP is formally certified for a number of manufacturer approvals that require extensive testing using approved and sanctioned procedures for measuring actual lubricant performance. This particular AMSOIL product has none of those.

The 4-ball wear test is a procedure designed and utilized in the industry for EP oils (gear oils for example) and is not an engine oil test.

Amsoil published a number of independent tests in their study of 5W30 oils and signature series outperformed Mobil 1 EP on every test.

Thanks guys! This forum re-enforces my decisions!! I know I can't go wrong with Amsoil signature series for the best peace of mind.

I will change the oil out ASAP and see what happens!

This really is like a "drug" and you guys are all "drug pushers". LOL!!

I switched to Amsoil AZO few years ago from M1, I haven't look back and I was happy with M1.

Originally Posted By: Turk
Getting that black, that quick, is just wrong.

Even your short FF was black.

I'd get some diagnostics done, and/or ask the dealer techs to see if they're all that way or not...

I will get a UOA done on my next OCI to see what's going on inside the engine. GM dealership techs aren't going to waste their time unless there's something physically wrong with the car. I have enough experience with them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back