may be picking up a 1994 F150 tonite need advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can get a steal on a 94 F150 with 119k. It is a 2wd with the 5.0L v8. any things I should be aware of? It has a sensor or something with a couple wires run to it in what looks to be a coffee can, what is it? what does it do? It has a new water pump and has no leaks. It is an XLT reg cab with twin tanks but the rear tank has been removed.

the dual tank system on those trucks are terrible.

if you only have one tank, you will gas it up alot!

GREAT ENGINE&TRUCK!

The coffee can is a vacuum accumulator. My brother had a 1994 with the I6. He actually used a juice can to replace his "coffee can" when it rusted through on him! Pretty much everything rusts horribly on them in the rust belt. The drivetrain is tough though. A 1994 will be pre OBDII so that's sweet.

Joel

Originally Posted By: 2003f7
Look for rust on the leaf spring schackles and mounts. The 92's to 94's are known to rust in these areas.

my '93 F-150 don't have any rust.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
I can get a steal on a 94 F150 with 119k. It is a 2wd with the 5.0L v8. any things I should be aware of?

The 302 probably leaks a little oil in a few places, but overall, it's a good engine. You should have a lot of miles left on it.

got it tonite. It has no leaks anywhere! I am gonna change the oil tomorrow. 5w30 sound right? The box is rough, rough, rough, but functional. I got a topper with it that I intend to sell. It needs a front end alignment and the spare swapped to the passenger front rim. Gonna shop around on that. It has new rear shackles for the leaf springs and new bushings on the front suspension. Those are orange. I cleaned the interior up some tonite and plan on a steam clean this weekend. Looking better already.

I bought a 1996 F150 a few weeks ago, with the 5.0 and an A/T.

Drove it 400 miles on Saturday and got 19.2 MPG it didnt matter if i drove it 60 or 70 mph.

Sounds like a good find dwc. As Duane reports, that 5.0L will get you the same or better MPG than the I6. You couldn't bet the I6 for reliability, but man were they horrible on gas.

Joel

well, I changed the oil in it tonite. Went with Mobil Clean 5000 10w30 'cause I had it on hand. Also had an STP S8 filter so it worked out fine. The truck had a rusty old Parts Master filter on it. I greased up what zerks I could reach and looked over the underside. Not too shabby. I'll go outside and snap some pics now.

F150001.jpg

F150002.jpg

F150003.jpg

F150004.jpg

F150006.jpg

I got the truck for $850. Taxes and a plate and I am all in for $1000. I am gonna get a front end alignment Friday and swap the spare tire to the passenger front wheel. I listed the topper on craigslist. I hope it sells so I can start to look for a new box. Not that I really care as this one is solid, just ugly. It has a new Fram air filter and the PCV looks new as well. Trans fluid is red and not stinky. Rear end is dry. I need to wire in a pigtail for the hitch. anyone got a diagram? There were two connectors out back for a hitch plug but the PO snipped the wires for some reason. The two female harness plugs are intact. I have several pigtails lying around. Do I just color match 'em?

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Sounds like a great truck, the 5.0L (302) is a fantastic engine.

+1

Make sure you drain both drains when you change the oil as the 302 has two...My 88 Town Car with the 302 did so I assume the truck does also but I could be wrong.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Sounds like a great truck, the 5.0L (302) is a fantastic engine.

+1

Make sure you drain both drains when you change the oil as the 302 has two...My 88 Town Car with the 302 did so I assume the truck does also but I could be wrong.

The last 5.0L 4x4 I worked on (88) didn't. It had a single-sump pan, unlike the Mustang, Vic/Grand Marq/Townie that had the double-hump pan.

Not bad. Interior is in nice shape, and as you say, the rust on the rear fenders looks more cosmetic than structural. 120k miles on a '94 is pretty low.

My wife's grandfather recently had a 1991(?) that looked a LOT like that truck. Rust was a lot worse on it, though - floor and cab mounts were GONE.

Good luck with it!

119k? $850 dollars? Thats a steal of a deal. Truck looks like its in great shape inside and out. Rear driver panel has a bit of rust but that can be taken care of easily, paint looks mint. You did good =)

I always loved that color on the Ford's, like a tone of black but better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back