Maxlife's base oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding Moly, which I posted on the "What Oil's contain Moly" thread:

In all of techinal info I have read to-date, the Molybdenum Tricarbomate that is currently used as friction and anti-wear modifiers DOES NOT settle out and oxidize. The MDTC stays in solution until it reacts with the sulphonates of the Detergents and forms a MOS2 or MOS3
(organometallic) film on the metal which acts as a barrier lubricant.

Now ZDDP does the same thing, except it forms a zinc sulfate or zinc phosphate film.

I have to agree with Bob on this one, Mobile is speaking out both sides of its mouth and is
apparently using data from the 60's when some moly's were simply moly powders in suspension.

Remember, there IS a difference between a "suspension" and a "solution."

lest us not forget that, many high-performance engines today, especially those engines that are high-revving, have a coating of molybdenum on their internals sometimes also. I know engines like Honda's B16A2 motor that produced 160hp and revved to 8,000rpms, had their pistons and other internal parts coated in this wear preventing metal. So, it may contribute to a moly reading in oils that have never shown to contain moly in them. Just a useless thought probably.

I didn't realize this. But I wonder if that coating of moly put on at the factory would actually stay on there if one were to use a non moly oil? I imagine that this moly coating would eventually deplete itself.

The engines usually contain something called, "Flash Coats" in which a Chromium/Moly alloy is fired onto surfaces such as cam followers, cylinder liners, rings, etc.

Moly coated rings or moly/chromium alloys in rings have been the norm for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back