MaxLife Users! Have a question...Need opinions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the people that are using Valvoline Maxlife, have yall noticed any decrease or increase in gas mileage? Ever since I switched over to MaxLife, it feels like my car has less gas mileage than when I used regular oil. I'm using 5W30 in my Galant V6. What brands of oils have yall gotten the best mileage from? Need some opinions!

Last edited:
Try regular Pennzoil Yellow Bottle or Valvoline.

If you're willing to spend a bit more, give Pennzoil Platinum a shot.

ML is a lil sluggish, that's why I never recommend going up a grade when trying it.

Havoline is super-thin and gives good mpg.

It "feels like" your car is getting less mileage?

21.gif

Yes I noticed a 4 to 5 MPG drop using Maxlife and Napa brand HM 10W30. It kind of occurred over time. A few weeks ago I did a tune up and replaced my MAP sensor and both upstream O2 sensors and that helped some. But I did some research here and other sites and found that Maxlife and other HM oils are at the thicker end of their given viscosity rating. They are harder to pump and they create more drag on internal engine parts. That's why there is lower MPG and less power with Maxlife.

Today I dumped my Napa HM fill and did an oil change with new filter and Napa brand 10W30. My truck is running quieter and has a bit smoother idle and seemed to feel looser and quicker when I test drove it. I hope this helps my MPG. I have been keeping an accurate track on my MPG the last 6 weeks or so and I think I have done all I can do to improve it, and I really don't think I will be using any brand of HM oil again.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
ML is a lil sluggish, that's why I never recommend going up a grade when trying it.

Havoline is super-thin and gives good mpg.

^^I tried Maxlife in my gf`s Olds and it made it a bit sluggish as well.

I switched from Vavoline white bottle to Max Life blend, along with a major tune up. I saw a 4mpg gain, but I assume the tune up had more to do with that. But unlike others stated on this thread, I'd say my engine ran quieter and smoother after the switch to ML. I did the switch a couple months after the tune up.

4-5 MPG decrease seems like waaay too much for just an oil to cause. I can see maybe 1-2 MPG, but I think that if your mileage dropped that much, something else may be wrong.

Have not noticed a difference, since switching from M1 to Maxlife. Im hopping the the ML will reduce oil consumption. My MPG display is reading the same numbers as it was with the M1.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back