Maxlife & the API bug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two years ago when I 1st bought Valvoline Maxlife they didn't have an API bug on the container but now they do. When I called cust serv, they told me it was because they didn't want to spend the money for it.
Is there any difference between the old & new Maxlife?
dunno.gif

What do you mean by the API bug? I know of the starburst and the donut. Far as I know, Maxlife does not have the starburst.

quote:

Originally posted by Bamaro:
Two years ago when I 1st bought Valvoline Maxlife they didn't have an API bug on the container but now they do. When I called cust serv, they told me it was because they didn't want to spend the money for it.
Is there any difference between the old & new Maxlife?
dunno.gif

It had to much ZDDP to be certified.

The original Maxlife was a more robust additive package that included Moly (This may have been prior to your first use).

Then they removed the Moly... and many on this site complained and switched to Pennzoil (if I remember correctly).

I believe in the newest formula the ZDDP may be reduced and they may have added some Moly back. With reduced ZDDP than can meet API certification requirements.

I think you can get most of the benefits for less money by going to a HDEO. Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 (Group III) is a great oil for $12.00 gal. In Dinos the Chevron Delo 400 15W40 and Mobil Delvac 1300 15W40 are great oils are around $6.00 gal. If you want 10W30 it can be hard to locate.

Gene

[ June 21, 2004, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: Gene K ]

cool.gif
I'm going from memory here, but I'm pretty sure the Max Life 10w-30 and 40 do not have the API starburst but the 5w-30 does.

I just went to their website and looked up the product data sheets and for all grades of regular Maxlife (including 5w30 and straight 30) it has only the following listed under "Approvals/Performance Levels"

"API SL/SJ
Valvoline’s Maxlife™ motor oil is safe for use in new and rebuilt engines and will not void new car warranties."

But no ILSAC (Starburst) or Energy Conserving rating. For their regular oil (All Climate) the list includes many more approvals:

Approvals/Performance Levels Viscosity Grade/Other
API SL/SJ SAE 5W-30, SAE 10W-30, SAE 10W-40, SAE 20W-50
ILSAC GF-2 & GF-3 SAE 5W-30, SAE 10W-30
Energy Conserving SAE 5W-30, SAE 10W-30
FORD M2C-153G SAE 5W-30, SAE 10W-30
FORD M2C-915A SAE 5W-30
GM 6094M SAE 5W-30, SAE 10W-30
Chrysler MS-6395H SAE 5W-30
MIL-A-A-52306 CID SAE 5W-30, SAE 10W-30

quote:

Originally posted by Bamaro:
The original Maxlife didn't have either the starburst or the donut. The new Maxlife has only the donut

Thank You. I did not know that. I would rather have it without the donut. That must have been the SJ? I think there are other HM oils out there now without the donut--maybe Quaker State. I don't think any have the starburst.

Now we shall see what Valvo does with maxlife when the new SM spec comes out. Somehow I think I will eventually be running heavy duty motor oil, or at least a 50/50 mix.

I used some Mobil Synthetic Blend High Mileage oil that was SL and ILSAC GF-3 with a starburst. That was in March, and the car actually did get better MPG, but as for making the engine quieter it wasn't as good as Castrol HM or MaxLife, and I read someone using it in a suburban for a long time couldn't get it to swell weepy seals the way the castrol HM and valvoline ML did. I do think Mobil Syn blend HM is a good quality oil, however.

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
What do you mean by the API bug? I know of the starburst and the donut. Far as I know, Maxlife does not have the starburst.

The original Maxlife didn't have either the starburst or the donut. The new Maxlife has only the donut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back