Maxlife tappets/Seafoam CEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I did all the work today. Maxlife 10W-40 (chevy dealer was putting in 10W-40 since thats where my grandfather has gone for oil changes since it was new. Along with new Purolator PureOne oil filter, it is working great.... Since putting the seafoam in the vacuum line/fuel tank the Check engine light has been on..I figure this is probably normal but I want to check to make sure it didn't screw up the oxygen sensor or something. Also, since the oil change, the valve tappets in the 2.2 have been quite a bit louder than normal, ticking is much louder. Will this even out, and fade away once it breaks in or something? Thanks in advance! (oh also replaced the leaky Valve cover gasket)

Edit> Oh again, we need to go to autozone/the dealer to pick up a new Air intake hose since the OE part is broken and ripped at the bottom where it connects to the throttle body, and it leaks. You can tell especially when at WOT. It is also cracked around the MAF sensor (or whatever sensor that is). Sigh, there's another $60.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the check engine light just came on, it is probably from something you did or from that leaky air hose. Either way, it should be taken care of in the near future. I also wouldn't have put in that seafoam. If nothings wrong then why bother. Your owner's manual probably even states not to put additives in the gas tank or in the oil. Additives in my opinion should be used as a last resort to fix a problem when nothing else has worked... or you cannot afford the proper fix. Other than that, stay clear of additives.

I know people have mentioned it in a previous thread, but that oil is a bit thick for your car. Put in the recommended oil stated in the owner's manual. Then read the whole manual and follow the recommended maintenance. I read the manual for every vehicle I have ever owned and I usually consult it every now and again. So many headaches can be prevented and questions answered all in that little bible of information.

Congrats on the car. Should be a nice little gem with a little TLC.

Last edited:
I have a 1999 Cavalier 2.2, 3 speed auto, and it has 212,875 miles. It is used every day and still goes on trips. I bought it new in December, 1998. I waited for the dealer to unload it from the transport, service it and set it up, then I drove it home from the dealer, onto the carport, and changed the oil and filter. I put in Mobil 1 15W-50 and a Wix filter. It has had that combination ever since.

I agree that you need to get the repairs made as soon as possible and before you drive the vehicle. Unfiltered air is disastrous to an engine. Also disastrous to those fuel injectors.

When you changed the valve cover gasket, did you see any evidence of varnish, sludge, gum? Did it look clean? MaxLife would not cause lifter noise in and of itself. It could be that is is cleaning out "gummy" lifters, but this would not happen immediately after an oil change.

Are you sure the ticking you hear is not from the fuel injectors? About everyone I know that has these engines gets fuel injector ticks from time to time. I know folk that use Marvel Mystery Oil when they change oil, BUT, in the gasoline, not in the oil. I know one elderly gent(elderly means older than me) that puts 3 ounces of synthetic 2 stroke motorcycle oil in the gas tank at his first fill up after oil change. I find that Chevron and Shell gasoline keep mine from ticking.

Ok. Like I said, the Chevy dealership has been putting in 10W-40 and it was fine before the change. So that's what I put back in it with the oil change. I don't know if the noise is coming from lifters or Fuel injectors to be honest. I'm not an expert on this stuff yet... :) When I changed the VC gasket, it was nice and clean inside. No sludge or gumup at all, it was all in great shape. And I think we are going to the dealer today to try to pick up a AIH or order one from autozone. As for the CEL, I think I might know four things that might have set it off.

1. Seafoam in exhaust set off the 02 sensor
2.We started the engine temporarily with the air intake hose off
3.started and ran engine with the brake-booster vacuum line disconnected (for seafoam)
4. After starting, after shutting it down after doing the seafoam thing, one of the spark plug wires which was not completely secured came loose and caused #1 cylinder to misfire for a few seconds till we got it shut off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
4. After starting, after shutting it down after doing the seafoam thing, one of the spark plug wires which was not completely secured came loose and caused #1 cylinder to misfire for a few seconds till we got it shut off.

Thatayl do it.
thumbsup2.gif
Disconnect the battery cable for 60 seconds. That should cause the CEL to go out. If you do not want to do that, when you get everything fixed, the CEL should go out after the third or fourth start up.

I just can not see any problem caused by 10W-40 MaxLife. It is a very good oil and even meets the tough ACEA A3 specks.

Yeah just went out and started and its gone now. I have to say... This little 4 cylinder runs much rougher than the big V8 on our expedition did when one of the Coil-over-plug ignition coils went.. Of course I perfectly understand why that is. Just making an observation.
cool.gif

I think the 2.2 was a great little engine, maybe one of GM's best. It was somewhat low on HP and torque but it worked great in its applications. I hope GM doesn't regret dropping it for the DOHC, MV engine.

I had a neighbor that bought a new 1994 S-10 and a new 1994 Cavalier at the same time. We no longer live next door but are still in contact. He still has both vehicles and both in daily use. The truck has 18x,000 miles and the car is just over 240,000.

Originally Posted By: FrankN4
I think the 2.2 was a great little engine, maybe one of GM's best. It was somewhat low on HP and torque but it worked great in its applications. I hope GM doesn't regret dropping it for the DOHC, MV engine.

I had a neighbor that bought a new 1994 S-10 and a new 1994 Cavalier at the same time. We no longer live next door but are still in contact. He still has both vehicles and both in daily use. The truck has 18x,000 miles and the car is just over 240,000.

Agree 100%!

:D

Seafoam through the intake can cause CEL & fouled spark plugs...but eventually it should go off & if not, then disconnect battery for 1 minute, then hook it back up & should be good to go unless permanent damage was done to O2's which I have NEVER seen w/ seafoam...it is good stuff for removing carbon!

Up there is some pictures of when I had the valve cover off. That is with the new oil in it. Looks pretty clean, maybe just some light varnish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back