Maxlife syn blend vs full syn and oci

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Alltherage
Also wondering if the full syn has the sodium

Yes it does and GM's love maxlife. I use Full synthetic maxlife (a pain to find from time to time) for 7500 miles. I could go more but choose not to since that's what the manual says and I do 90% interstate driving.

I would run the Maxlife semi-syn if its only 6k or once a year. It seems to hold up very well in the cars and trucks I have used it in.

I have the syn blend in it now. Basically I'm wondering if I could get away with a yearly oci with the full syn. I don't think the blend is going to make it past 4k with the oil life monitor and I won't push it further. I would push the syn but for how long...

Originally Posted By: Alltherage
2500hd 6.0 gas, local driving 6k per year

I wouldn't go more than a year, personally. The full syn should be able to handle a 6k/1 year OCI, even with city driving.

Good points. I may try it. 117k on it which has kept me from going full syn because of starting a leak this late in the game. I'm confident in the maxlife syn though

If you have no oil leaks now, you probably won't find any with the use of any synthetic oil.
There are arguably better choices than Maxlife syn for the same money.
Personaly, I'd try QSUD, PP or M1, all of which are pretty inexpensive from Walmart.
If you want to extend drains, Maxlife may not be your best choice.
A look through UOAs of various Valvoline oils shows them not to be all that strong in TBN retention.
I've used Maxlife SB and posted a very nice UOA of it from my old BMW. TBN did hold up pretty well in that case, better than seen in many Maxlife UOAs posted in that forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back