Maxlife or Mobil 1 on the Volvo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the present time, I am still topping off. Every time I go into the store, I see Maxlife ATF next to Mobil 1. I always choose Maxlife, as it is $3 cheaper for a quart.

I really like the Maxlife and the way it makes what I add it to feel. So, unless there is something I should know about Mobil 1 ATF... ?

The car appears to be a quart low and I have not yet bought anything.

I started using MaxLife ATF earlier this year in the Camry and the Armada in my signature line. While it's not long term it's been great so far.

I have never used Maxlife, but I have used M1 ATF since M1 came out with their synthetic ATF in the early 90s as I remember it. To date, I have never had a trans or PS pump failure with this fluid.

Originally Posted By: 4x4chevydude
if its leaking use the cheaper of the two

It isn't leaking, I just need to select which would be "better." And I am not sure I am seeing anything in Mobil 1 to justify its added cost.. Maxlife gets some good reviews and is regarded as a very good fluid!

Sometimes, these lder cars are just a little low. No drips or anything. And I am thinking Maxlife would eb more than likely to keep it that way....

I could pic the dipstick but I am sure you know what "below the crosshairs" looks like!

GHT - you need to check the OM on your Volvo first. The AW 42 on my 1994 850 (may it RIP...) took a DEX III. But this is a 2000, right? It may spec the JWS-3309 fluid...you have this information, I don't...not off the top of my head...

If so, then I would look carefully at the two you're selecting from. Valvoline states that Maxlife is "suitable for use" where JWS-3309 fluid is required (note, they don't say that it meets the spec, they say that it is "suitable" for that spec...not exactly the same...). But last time I checked, Mobil does NOT recommend Mobil 1 ATF where JWS-3309 fluid is specified. If you don't see JWS-3309 explicitly listed, Toyota T-IV is the same thing for all intents and purposes...

Check your OM, then check your fluid choices.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GearheadTool
Originally Posted By: 4x4chevydude
if its leaking use the cheaper of the two

It isn't leaking, I just need to select which would be "better." And I am not sure I am seeing anything in Mobil 1 to justify its added cost.. Maxlife gets some good reviews and is regarded as a very good fluid!

Sometimes, these lder cars are just a little low. No drips or anything. And I am thinking Maxlife would eb more than likely to keep it that way....

I could pic the dipstick but I am sure you know what "below the crosshairs" looks like!

I do - but "below the crosshairs" at WHAT TEMP? When it's cold, it will be well below. You need to check most transmissions at 80C trans temperature...not engine coolant temperature, trans temp...how do you know it's there? Well, a good long drive (20+ minutes will get it there) but run it hard or have it sit in city traffic, it might be over 80C and so you're going to get a slightly higher reading...

Checking a trans at the wrong temp is like checking your oil on a hill: meaningless.

And if you're "topping off" as you say, then you've either A: got a leak or B: checking it cold and overfilling.

Overfilling will kill a trans as the fluid foams up...

Last edited:
OP's is a Dex III box. Maxlife or M1 both are fine, buy what's cheapest. Dex VI is fine, too.

Nothing but JWS-3309 or the Volvo fluid in the later ones.

GearheadTool, if I remember correctly, you have a 2000 Volvo V70 X/C. This requires JWS-3309 fluid, or more popularly, Toyota Type T-IV. I recommend against using M1 or MaxLife.

Go with the Toyota fluid, or Mobil 3309. Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle or Dex-III is fine too.

The Aisin transmissions like the Mobil 3309. But any Dexron III is juuuuuust fine.

I agree with the gentleman's post above mine.

I use M1 ATF in a manual gearbox application, and have been happy/had no issues with it, but prior to the last change, I did ponder trying Maxlife ATF.

Has anyone tried it in a stick?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 98FORCEDFIVE
Go with the Toyota fluid, or Mobil 3309. Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle or Dex-III is fine too.

The Aisin transmissions like the Mobil 3309. But any Dexron III is juuuuuust fine.

I agree with the gentleman's post above mine.

Volvohead is right--the 4 speeds take dex/merc. They'll work fine on pretty much any fluid. I used M1, but for the price they're asking these days I'd use Maxlife. This trans. isn't picky, and does not require a 3309 fluid--that was the 5-speed from 2001-on.

I'll only add this.

There are some folks that have played with JWS-3309 fluids in the older AW4 boxes. It is reportedly much smoother shifting than the Dex juice . . . some fear it might be TOO smooth, as in slipping shifts. That is not a good thing.

That is why I don't recommend 3309 blindly to others in these other than for a hard-shifting complaint that is covered by the service bulletin.

Other than the 3309, it really runs fairly well on any old Dex III/VI or universal.

The more important thing is to change it every 25k or so. It should go a very long time if you do.

I'm thinking of trying the Maxlife in ours next time. Right now it loves the GM Dex VI and shifts gracefully at 250k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back