Maxlife for less then 75000 mile cars

I was wondering if using Maxlife on a car with a few thousand less then 75000 miles would be a bad or good thing? Anyone who knows more about Maxlife's ingredients needed for it's older miles would be a benefit to a Honda V6 engine which had about 72k when I used Maxlife 5w-20.

there are additional detergents in the oil as well as seal conditioners. I believe there are other addl additives as well.

06VtecV6

I thought I would ask if a 14 dollar oil at Walmart be good for more cars then just those with more then 75,000 because many people don't put a LOT of miles on the ODO and generally stay less then for 75k for 5 years or more!! Can anyone else elaborate about the Anti wear or Friction modifiers used in ML? How about the seal conditioners? If I do not have any oil usage, am I in the clear? Or are the advantages clear and definite? (Also too, has anyone here used Max Life 5w-20 in their less then 75k cars??)

Last edited:

06VtecV6

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Neighbor started his Focus on ML 5w20 at 65k...works quite well-no issues at all.
Well my first few FE reading on Maxife 5w-20 when I was around 73k was stellar and matched MotorCrafts stellar and whopping 350 miles and 26.4 miles per gallon and this is on a Vtec V6 slushbox no less. Lover the prodigious power of 244 ponies!!

Last edited:
This is from Valvoline:
 Quote:
There would be absolutely no reason not to use this product from the start, as it is 100% safe for new or rebuilt applications as well.
In my part of the country Valvoline seems to be the number one selling oil. MaxLife is used by many of the DIY folk in vehicles fresh from the showroom.

Leamington, ON, CA - between Detroit and Cleveland
 Originally Posted By: FrankN4
This is from Valvoline:
 Quote:
There would be absolutely no reason not to use this product from the start, as it is 100% safe for new or rebuilt applications as well.
In my part of the country Valvoline seems to be the number one selling oil. MaxLife is used by many of the DIY folk in vehicles fresh from the showroom.
I emailed Valvoline Canada about using it in our '07 Uplander and they said "No problem and no warranty issues"

06VtecV6

Valvoline Maxlife would have more moly then Motorcraft 5w-20 syn blend correct? Here's why I'm asking..Here in Texas we've had 100+ degree temps and close to 110 heat index for last few months! If moly is the last layer of protection, wouldn't Maxlife with it's 200 moly be better? If MC is recommended for only 5000 miles per UOAs here for my application and I ran ML past that in this high heat, wouldn't Maxlife be better for slightly longer OCIs based on having more moly? My previous oil was MC for the last 40000 miles and I am on my 2nd ML OCI now.

Last edited:

FZ1

I'm running PP 5-20 in my 02 V6. 5 quart jug $20 at WM. Engine seems to like it.

06VtecV6

Originally Posted By: FZ1
I'm running PP 5-20 in my 02 V6. 5 quart jug $20 at WM. Engine seems to like it.
Your engine likes moly not a certain oil per se. You car does not know the oil you are using has a name and its marketing pseudo name is Pennzoil Platinum. But scientists know that molybdenum is a great anti-wear component. PP made my Honda sluggish. Like it gained a few pounds. Initially I misunderstood this heaviness as more low end but it was simply the gummy PP having trouble leaving my oil pump. haha and I got the same J30 V6 you do but the 2006 J30A5 version.

Last edited: