Maxlife for 35yo Ford C6

Status
Not open for further replies.
The transmission in my Cherokee has DII on the drain plug. I have run Dex VI in it and it shifts so much better. I'd either run a Dex VI or a high mileage Dex III compatible. Walmart's Supertech has a good selection.

The good thing is, C6s are supposed to be easy to rebuild if you do kill it.

Originally Posted by BrianF
What's wrong with a basic conventional dex/merc fluid?

Like the original post says, it's 35 years old and could benefit from seal conditioners in HM oil.

Originally Posted by SoNic67
Another vote here for Castrol Dex-Merc or maybe Castrol Mercon V if several drains are done, to include the torque converter (I think it has an accessible drain bolt on your engine).

Valvoline Maxlife is a Low Viscosity fluid, not at all adequate for older transmissions. It's not a magical fluid like people think it is and it should be used only to replace modern LV type of fluids.
You don't put 0W-20 in your engine if factory required 10W-40, why would you do that to an old transmission??? "Holds up better"??? Sure, but that is starting with improper low pressure lubrication!!!

I didn't realize at the time when I did it but I did a complete flush in my 87 gm 2004R with maxlife. 270k miles on the transmission and it still shifts exactly the same with the maxlife. If I had to do it over again I'd use something different but it doesn't seem to notice the lower viscosity at all.

Btw it also worked great with dexron 6 in it and mercon 5 years ago. Next change I'll go back to dexron 6. If it was a bad idea to use it in both of my old high mileage gm transmissions then I would know by now. I doubt anyone has ran as many hard miles on this type of transmission as I have. Age 18 to 36, lots of passes at the drag strip and lots of smoky burnouts (blew up 2 rear ends and wore out a third one).

Last edited:
I spotted conventional Valvoline Dex/Merc for $14/gal, so I ordered 3; plus a Motorcraft filter. Under $58 for all.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline-DEX-MERC-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid-1-Gallon/15125788

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by nthach
My concern with the MaxLife is that it's "thin" but holds up better. I'd look into a high-viscosity synthetic meeting the Mercon specs but MaxLife should be OK. I think in an RV, a synthetic like M1, Red Line or Amsoil would be a much better choice.

Are you saying that Maxlife is not a synthetic like M1, RedLine, or Amsoil?
confused2.gif

[Linked Image]

ML is a synthetic, just a low-viscosity one but not the same kind of beast as RL/Amsoil/M1. It works fine in things that need LV fluids(Dex-VI/MLV, Toyota WS, Nissan-Matic S).

Originally Posted by SoNic67

Valvoline Maxlife is a Low Viscosity fluid, not at all adequate for older transmissions. It's not a magical fluid like people think it is and it should be used only to replace modern LV type of fluids.

ðŸ‘

I tried MaxLife in a Toyota T-IV application and it just felt different to me. But it works fine in applications that the OEM back-speced thinner LV fluids. Nissans don't complain with MaxLife and I'm probably going to test that theory on a Subaru eventually.

Originally Posted by bbhero
There ya go.... Valvoline Dex Merc is a good call in my opinion.

The SuperTech HM would have been good too since it looks to be Dex/Merc, but I went with cheaper Valvoline.

It looks like the transmission was probably serviced at least once. The inspection cover is a bit damaged and had a rounded off bolt and a missing bolt.

I got at least 3/4 of the torque converter drained which is about the best I can do. Better than not at all.

20200228_162541.jpg

I totally agree... The Supertech HM would have been a good choice too...

I have used the Supertech Dexron IV in my cars power steering pump drain and refills...

I trust Warren Distribution to make very good oils.

I have used the Supertech Dexron IV in my cars power steering pump drain and refills...

Yep.

I will be replacing the pan next week with a cheap $30 steel aftermarket one that has a drain bolt. Worth the cost for way less mess when dropping the pan in the future.

Total cost for the fluid, filter/gaskets, a bigger 5 gallon oil drain pan (wide, for catching the pan contents), and the aftermarket pan is about $93. Cheaper than a shop, plus it gets the slightly upgraded pan.

Originally Posted by nthach
Nissans don't complain with MaxLife and I'm probably going to test that theory on a Subaru eventually.

Have no fear in the 4EAT + ML combo. I've been using it in 3 different Subies over the past 5 years, with a total of about 160k miles on ML, and all 3 shift better now than what they did when I bought them.

Originally Posted by Cubey

Yep.

I will be replacing the pan next week with a cheap $30 steel aftermarket one that has a drain bolt. Worth the cost for way less mess when dropping the pan in the future.

Total cost for the fluid, filter/gaskets, a bigger 5 gallon oil drain pan (wide, for catching the pan contents), and the aftermarket pan is about $93. Cheaper than a shop, plus it gets the slightly upgraded pan.

93 ain't bad for all that....

I paid $130 just for the CVT fluid for my car
lol.gif

8 qts of Eneos CVT fluid and 5 qts of Castrol CVT fluid... 3 drain and refills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back