Maxlife dex/merc ATF ok in 2500hd transfer case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am guessing no after reading the last hour about the gm bulletin regarding dex VI etc.. I just put the maxlife in today too! Ugh. Just seemed like i would be fine since it was full syn. So, if not, do I go to a regular ol' dex III or to mobil 1 ATF? I know amsoil is good but want quick availability. The truck is a 2004 gmc. Thx

I looked into a similar situation using Dex VI in a manual transmission. The main problem with the Dex VI is that it is thinner at temperature then the Dex III.

In a mechanical gearbox, I'd use Mobil1, Royalpurple, Valvoline Import... over Maxlife. I'd even prefer any ATF+4 too.

Maxlife is fine but for your next interval, pick a thicker fluid.

And, don't rule out the mtf/mtl/syncroshift/... or other 7-10cst 75w80 full synth synchromesh-type fluid, especially if truck is worked and not a commuter vehicle.

This is electric 4wd with the pushbuttons. I only put on 5k a year. The only time i use the 4wd is in winter. The gm bulletin warns of damage with the dex VI. Is this over a long period or potentially short periods as well?

Originally Posted By: Alltherage
This is electric 4wd with the pushbuttons. I only put on 5k a year. The only time i use the 4wd is in winter. The gm bulletin warns of damage with the dex VI. Is this over a long period or potentially short periods as well?

Using Red Lines application guide, if you have the Autotrac II transfer case, they suggest MTL 75w-80.

Amsoil shows 3 different xfer cases from NVG. One is a GM fluid only.

Even though you may use 4wd little, isn't the xfer case always getting power?

If it has 4 buttons it uses the GM fluid only, drain and refill it yesterday.
3 button uses ATF Dex III is the one, Amsoil, M1, etc. Dex VI is lower viscosity, i wouldn't use it in this box even short term if GM is posting bulletins against it.

Its the 3 button 263 transfer case. I will drain and switch to dex III. Is the bulletin because pf the additives or because of heat/viscosity issues?

Quote:
Alltherage: The gm bulletin warns of damage with the dex VI. Is this over a long period or potentially short periods as well?

What is the GM TSB number?

Most GM transfer cases spec the AutoTracII fluid which is a 7.3 cSt fluid@100C, a semi-syntheticb blend with special additives.

Last edited:
Its the 3 button 263 transfer case. I will drain and switch to dex III. Is the bulletin because pf the additives or because of heat/viscosity issues?

I honestly don't know why but they seem pretty adamant about it.
Its my understanding you can use the GM smurf fluid in both units, that may be something to look into or Mola might know.

I ended up draining the dex6 and put in peak(warren) dex3 yesterday. I will run that for a year and switch to syn dex 3 like amsoil or mtf. I have heard reports that tractor hydraulic/ tranny oil works great in this application as well

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Mola, what do you think about using Redline high temp atf in this application?

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=54&pcid=9

Also what about using the high temp atf in the 4T65e?

I would stick with the recommended MTL. Apparently they found out they needed not only a higher viscosity, but they also needed extra wear protection that would be found in the PI package of the MTL.

My 2012 2500HD 20K on the truck calls for for Dex6 drain and filled a few weeks ago drain plug was nasty as bad as I have ever had on a plug with paste. Filled with Redline D6 but makes me think if I should go to D4.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1613902/VOA's:_Mobil_1_Syn_ATF,_Redlin#Post1613902

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back